D-Day USN M1 Helmet for Sale

stealthytyler

I'd want much better pics of it before I'd go dropping D-day helmet money on it. Theres parts that look good and parts that look iffy to me which could both be caused by the poor lighting and flash.

Government Issue

It's intriguing for sure. I'm not an authority on D-Day navy lids so I have no idea. However, that odd white dot under the USN literally has no patina to it like the rest of the helmet. Could be period or maybe some paint accidentally got dabbed on it in the not so distant past?

stealthytyler

I have a WWII helmet with white paint. Not even close to the stained look as this one. Doesn't mean its not real... just a thought. Anyone want to forecast the sale price of this helmet? I would guess $3,000

I would need much better photos--taken in better lighting--to be a fan of this one. I would steer clear of it based on the pictures that accompany the eBay listing.

Agree, these pics make it a difficult study. For some reason the "USN" doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's the outline, or that the blue-gray stripe alone denotes that.

just-a-good-ole-boy

In my opinion, the liner is original and the pot has been painted to go with it. I don't like the "rubbed" areas of paint over the stress cracks at the rear of the shell.

Steve

manayunkman

This is the first of three items that they have listed in over 6 months.

They don't appear to know much about what they have or militaria in general.

I don't t think it's a fake. Would love to have it in hand but I think we are seeing age, storage conditions, heat, dampness, and time working on a helmet. Not sure how it was stored but everything "matches" to me......... First look, it passes. Just my 2 cents. In hand, well that's for the buyer. And no, won't be bidding on it. Need another lid like I need a hole in my head. Regards, Chris

I really think the flash is causing much of the issue here. I've blown up the photo's and in all honesty, I kinda like this one. Couple that with the eBay Money Back Guarantee and.....

1966ww2collector

I don't t think it's a fake.  Would love to have it in hand but I think we are seeing age, storage conditions, heat, dampness, and time working on a helmet.  Not sure how it was stored but everything "matches" to me.........    First look, it passes.   Just my 2 cents.   In hand, well that's for the buyer.  And no, won't be bidding on it.  Need another lid like I need a hole in my head.  Regards, Chris

Helmets are used to prevent holes in the head. More helmets = less holes in the head.

stealthytyler

I reached out to the seller just to see what the story was (NO, I am not bidding... dont have that much money haha!)

His dad was given this helmet many years ago while he was in the real estate business. He really didn't now what he had until he received a ton of high dollar offers through Ebay. He told me that he is going to let the auction continue.

stealthytyler

here is original white paint on my M1 helmet... just to use as a color comparison for what its worth... the edges become colored with (rust?) but the white is pretty white...

post-131595-0-16730300-1458008550.jpg

one concern I have is the black paint on the lid (border around the white USN) looks like it was sprayed on and then the white was painted on after with a brush - why the 2 different application methods? just a question no disproving if fake or not?

I like the liner better than the lid

one concern I have is the black paint on the lid (border around the white USN) looks like it was sprayed on and then the white was painted on after with a brush - why the 2 different application methods? just a question no disproving if fake or not?

I like the liner better than the lid

IMHO it was originally black but changed to white to stand out better when on the beach. That way everyone knows they are to be/stay on the beach.

Ray

IMHO it was originally black but changed to white to stand out better when on the beach. That way everyone knows they are to be/stay on the beach.

Ray

Yeah lots of example of D-day lids with black USN marks repainted over white. This however is the first I've seen where the USN was covered over exactly where the old markings were. Usually the USN stencils were lower and after the stripes applied the white was painted higher than the original markings.

1966ww2collector

I really think the flash is causing much of the issue here. I've blown up the photo's and in all honesty, I kinda like this one. Couple that with the eBay Money Back Guarantee and.....

Hey Scott, I've read through the eBay money back guarantee and all I can find for returning would be if the item doesn't match the description. Maybe I'm missing something but I think it would be hard to make a case for a return if something was off on this one. The buyer isn't really claiming anything besides it being USN WW2 Helmet. I guess one could make an argument that the shell isn't Navy or the shell doesn't match the liner. I don't know. I think whoever buys it should be pretty confident that it's good. If this one were to go out and then come back, it would be cursed rightly or wrongly. Maybe I am leaning too much on "seller's rights" as opposed to "buyers". That might be the deciding factor in the end. Better to be the buyer than the seller in an eBay dispute.

For what it's worth, I like it. And, I am so happy that this one didn't go out the backdoor. I would love to know how many offers this seller got.

Doug

I would need much better photos--taken in better lighting--to be a fan of this one. I would steer clear of it based on the pictures that accompany the eBay listing.

Especially when the seller doesn't offer a return policy......Bodes

Hey Scott, I've read through the eBay money back guarantee and all I can find for returning would be if the item doesn't match the description. Maybe I'm missing something but I think it would be hard to make a case for a return if something was off on this one. The buyer isn't really claiming anything besides it being USN WW2 Helmet. I guess one could make an argument that the shell isn't Navy or the shell doesn't match the liner. I don't know. I think whoever buys it should be pretty confident that it's good. If this one were to go out and then come back, it would be cursed rightly or wrongly. Maybe I am leaning too much on "seller's rights" as opposed to "buyers". That might be the deciding factor in the end. Better to be the buyer than the seller in an eBay dispute.

For what it's worth, I like it. And, I am so happy that this one didn't go out the backdoor. I would love to know how many offers this seller got.

Doug

For sellers, sadly, the buyer protection policy is really a no questions asked money back guarantee.

1966ww2collector

For sellers, sadly, the buyer protection policy is really a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Good to know. Thanks.

Doug