Help with leather aviator helmet

jasonm

Looking for information or tell me what I have. Leather aviator helmet stamped Slote & Schaffer 1918 and has a US Inspector mark. Really soft and pliable. Any advise on rarity and use of this helmet. Thanks.

post-12853-0-08445300-1457816961.jpg

post-12853-0-48585800-1457816969.jpg

The maker name - Slote & Schaffer - is that of a leather goods business in early 20th century New York City. There's nothing online about their helmets except one old Worthpoint listing for an ebay sale. It is interesting part of their name showed up in WWII on the much-used Slote & Klein leather flight helmets.

slote1.jpg

slote2.jpg

Thanks Bob. I saw the Worthpoint listing also. The listing also said the exact type/model helmet was published in a Aviation helmet book by Mick Prodgers on page 143. Was hoping someone had a copy and could provide more info. Seems to be a rare model if no other examples can be located. Thanks. Jason

northcoastaero

Prodger's book states standard issue US Army Air Service summer flying helmet. There could be reproductions of this type on the market along with a repro Charles Lindbergh type helmet. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. The helmet is now listed on Ebay with some better pics. Doubt its a repo. I just got it out a 50+yr militaria collection locally.