Silver Mexican War Vets Badge

Brian Keith

I am trying to identify specifically what this silver badge is. It is not the typical bronze National Association of Veterans of the Mexican War badge. It has a suspension ring at the top, some similar badges have a hole at the top to hang but they aren’t specifically described. Were these privately purchased as a nicer version of the bronze badge? Were they worn only by former officers? I do know the history of the veteran; I am looking for information on the badge itself.

Thanks in advance,

BKW

I’m posting this in both the Veterans Organization forum and the Mexican-American War Forum to get more eyes on it.

post-1549-0-33364100-1457750836.jpg

Brian Keith

I will be borrowing this badge to go with the Gen. Milroy painting by Alexander Lawrie, in the Civil War Generals show this summer. I think it may be a private purchase up grade of the membership badge of the veterans association.

BKW

The actual medal is much larger than this piece. This looks to be a miniature version of the medal. It is definitely real and of the time period.

Kurt

Brian Keith

Thanks for you comments Kurt,

I had found those links when doing my preliminary research, and knew it wasn't the "normal" badge. Do you think my theory of it likely being a private purchase up grade of the membership badge to be accurate? It obviously was attached to something else at one time.

BKW