Silver Lifesaving Medal and Mass. State Lifesaving Medal to same man

Dave

I just got this in on Wednesday. I've always loved Silver Lifesaving Medals, but I could never justify buying one as they aren't really along the lines of anything I collect (which is very little!) They are one of those things where, if I won the lotto, I'd have a nice collection of them...but until then...

The week after the SOS, I was up in the Pacific NW, and was just settling into my hotel room after spending part of the day with the family of a three-star general whose awards I photographed for my book. I hopped on the computer and on a whim, checked the BINs...and saw these. I was pretty shocked they were there and jumped on them right off. While the Silver Lifesaving Medal isn't complete, for the price I paid for it...I don't really have an issue with its condition. :)

More importantly, the story of how this man earned his medals is outstanding - he was a civilian rigger working on a Navy destroyer when one of the sailors fell overboard. Fully clothed, he jumped in and saved his life. Having been to Charlestown (home of the USS Constitution) multiple times over the years, the event and medals have an even greater meaning to me.

I'm very happy to have these in my collection!

Dave

lifesaving1sm.jpg

And finally, his obituary. Turns out he "saw the light" and moved to California late in life... ;)

lifesaving4.jpg

Great group...and you got to keep it...

The guy sent them via First Class mail, and they ended up getting delayed in the mail...I started thinking that yet another seller had backed out! Luckily, it was not the case, and even more luckily, the package got to me torn up, but with the contents still there. Whew!

Thank you for all the complements! :)

aerialbridge

Wonderful medals and research, Dave. I like the period newspaper articles documenting his heroism and the award. He wasn't a kid- 52 years old and dove in fully clothed to rescue a fully clothed, and probably flailing, man. One tough Viking.

That Massachusetts Life Saving medal, I'm guessing is a rare bird. Beautiful design and symbolism.

http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=116778566