Bell P-39 propellor spinner question

Der Finn

Do any Forum member know what material Bell P-39 Airacobra propellor spinners were made of? I may have blown it at a local auction today..........

The spinner in question was at a local auction today. It had three slots for the prop blades and a hole in the center for the cannon. When I picked it up to examine, I found out it was made of fiberglass and that really puzzled me! I would have thought aluminum, as you mentioned. It did exhibit a lot of age. Thanks for your reply.

The spinner in question was at a local auction today. It had three slots for the prop blades and a hole in the center for the cannon. When I picked it up to examine, I found out it was made of fiberglass and that really puzzled me! I would have thought aluminum, as you mentioned. It did exhibit a lot of age. Thanks for your reply.

That's really interesting! Maybe they wanted to save more weight since the heavy cannon would upset the balance.

I'll have to ask my friend what his spinners are made out of. He has a Yak-9 with an Allison engine and a stock P-51. The Yak spinner does have a hole for the cannon too.

May I ask, did you end up buying it?

Evan

they are made from pressed solid steel, im rebuilding my airacobras and have lots of them, if they were made from fiberglass the P-39 would sit on its tail, even when you remove the prop you need to put the stand under the tail

photo7.jpg

Government Issue

That's interesting that it was being offered as off a P39. Could it have possibly been from a mock up plane for hollywood? If I remember right, there were some airacobras in the Thin Red Line that could be seen in the background during the airfield sequences. I don't know if the planes were legit or not. If not, than that could be a possible ID of the mystery spinner.

I'll have to ask my friend what his spinners are made out of. He has a Yak-9 with an Allison engine and a stock P-51. The Yak spinner does have a hole for the cannon too.

Evan, it seems I may have to find new friends. To actually know someone who owns a mustang and a yak?! Ok, I need to calm down and ask you a legit question. Are any of them two-seaters and if so, has he taken you up?

they are made from pressed solid steel, im rebuilding my airacobras and have lots of them, if they were made from fiberglass the P-39 would sit on its tail, even when you remove the prop you need to put the stand under the tail

Wow. First, welcome to the forum. My Great Grandpa flew the airacobra for a time so the fact that you're in the process of restoring multiple is stupendous. I would have never guessed just removing the nose cone would throw the plane off balance that much. Since it's made from pressed steel, what's the approximate weight? There's members here on the forum who do restoration logs of their jeeps and such. If you'd ever consider to do that with one of your planes, I'm sure you'd be the first forum member to do so. I can understand if you want to keep it private, but if you consider I think you'll make a lot of us happy. ;)

hi, i estimate 30kg?... without ammo in the front a P-39 will easily tip on its tail, all abrupt handling is prohibited on them without ammo or ballast, but with ballast they are the most perfectly balanced plane out there, russian tests show that under 18,000 ft they will out turn, out climb and out run a BF-109F and FW-190A

in the front end you have 2 x .30's or 2 x .50's + 300rd + m4 autocannon (97.5kg) + 30 rounds, the gearbox (roughly 100kg) and armor plating on the gearbox

boxnos.jpg

1_57.jpg

No, I didn't get it. The auctioneer put it up as being from a P-51 Mustang and it went pretty high. But seeing the recent pics on this post, it doesn't look like it was from a P-39. Here's a photo lifted from the auction website. Thanks for your help and opinions, guys!

post-5418-0-88867000-1457957362.jpg

Evan, it seems I may have to find new friends. To actually know someone who owns a mustang and a yak?! Ok, I need to calm down and ask you a legit question. Are any of them two-seaters and if so, has he taken you up?

As a matter of fact, yes to both! The Yak was actually built new in Russia in 1996 (they still have the original molds and tooling!) and the Mustang was completely restored a few years ago from essentially a pile of parts.

I was very close with his father, who owned the Mustang along with another Yak and a Stearman. We would go flying together often. I never flew in the Yak but flights in the Stearman and Mustang made a huge impact on me.

Have you heard of the Collings Foundation? They sell rides in several warbirds and bombers when they do tours around the States. It's certainly not cheap, but flying in one of their aircraft is the opportunity of a lifetime.

They also do Bomber Camp yearly out here in California, it's not cheap either but it's as close as you can possibly get to being a crewman on a WW2 bomber!

Evan

Fiftycal...A quick question for you...I picked up this data plate years ago and have always questioned it's authenticity...it is made of a composite material, not metal like all my other data plates...What is your opinion ?? This is the history of the Serial #

Received by USAAF on June 24, 1942 and sent to Stockton Intransit Depot, Ca. Departed US on July 4, 1942 and assigned to the 5th Air force in Australia. Lost in a flying accident on Nov. 4, 1943

post-13070-0-61633700-1458047859.jpg

Ram, i believe these are reproductions made by bob spencer? although bell sub contractors did make various parts from alloy and composite (several of my seats are composite), most are alloy, notice that your style of plate is the same reproduction as brooklyn bum's plate but you have 5 holes in yours and it has three. i think its possible that they were a bell test batch that were not used as but sold surplus after the war.

also several data plates found are made from alloy and badly corroded.

also 41-38380 would have been a 35th or 36th fs ship as i own its sister ship 41-38385 that was with the 35th fs when it shot down another plane and sunk two Japanese ships, none of these aircraft returned from new guinea.

another thing is on original D's the engine number eas usually E4#### not the engine type

i had some remade in alloy here they are:

CAM01882.jpg

here is mine:

FY Serial C/N # Model Theatre Ship User Date Sent. Date Ariv. Condemn Unit Markings Remarks
41-38385 14A-316 D-1-BE Sumac SS Stephen Fields USAAF 15-Aug-42 35thFS/8thFG "J" USAAF Contract AC156 1/6/41

here is the center section carry through spar of 38385 showing the s/n

14a_316.jpg

still a cool item to have but 100% fake

ddbjafdc.jpg

she has seen better days, but will be up and running in about $1 million dollars time!

Fiftycal, that is an indredible airplane! Are those bullet holes in the top part of that panel??

Also, are you going to restore her? It would be amazing to have another P-39 flying, or as a static display. Especially a real combat veteran!

Evan

hi falcon, i do intend on restoring it, but my first project that im concentrating on is another P-39D that i have that was used by the NACA/NASA and flew in the pre-war games, with that one i am in touch with the family and keeping them up to date but its slow progress, however as im rebuilding the other i am making spare parts for this one and some others that i have so that later on i can sell one of them with enough parts to rebuild the air frame.

those bullet holes are on the top part of the lower keel beneath and in front of the pilots door, the cabin has been removed and cleaned up already, ive already done a lot of work on its tail section for air worthiness but the fuselage has not been touched, after a lot of research i have no idea on who its pilot was though.

It looks like there were only 6 pilots with single aircraft victories in the 35th that would have flown P-39's, for what it's worth.

Lt John R Casey Jr, 12/07/1942

Capt Thomas T Dabney 05/18/1942

Lt Irving A Erickson 05/28/1942

Lt William J Feiler, 12/07/1942

Lt John W Jacobs Jr, 05/08/1942

Lt Joseph T McKeon, 12/07/1942

hi austin, i have been through the records and information indicates that it took out a val bomber, but i cannot confirm it, many of these pilots scored kills in other aircraft and shared aircraft etc

On a tour of the USS Hornet years ago, I remember seeing parts of an SBD Dauntless and I believe a Wildcat shoved into a back corner. The Dauntless had clearly visible bullet holes in its vertical and rudder, and all I could think about was the stories that plane could tell. I know yours could tell amazing stories!

Fiftycal, unless the restorations are private, do you have a way for us to follow your progress, like a website or facebook page? The warbird community always loves a good restoration!

Thanks!

Evan

hi falcon, they are private at this stage because there are lot of so called "warbird enthusiasts" that just like to say this is wrong or thats wrong or P-39's suck or whatever, i dont have any patience for them but i can upload some photos every now and then

hi falcon, they are private at this stage because there are lot of so called "warbird enthusiasts" that just like to say this is wrong or thats wrong or P-39's suck or whatever, i dont have any patience for them but i can upload some photos every now and then

Thanks fiftycal, I'd love to see them! Best of luck with the restorations!

Evan

hi austin, i have been through the records and information indicates that it took out a val bomber, but i cannot confirm it, many of these pilots scored kills in other aircraft and shared aircraft etc

You're right of course, it probably would have passed between pilots of the squadron (though might have had one who flew her more). Have you considered writing to the USAF Museum to see if they have any 35th Squadron records/mission reports?

Are your a/c the ones that crash landed while the squadron was ferrying back for replacements?

Would love to see other photos as these are quite incredible (but totally understand your desire to keep the project private).

Hi, i have contacted usaf historical before but they dont usually have much info on anything in the pacific, especially the early war times.

i have a/c that have crashed in australia (being ferried up), crashed and abandoned in png and also fiji and vanuatu

Hi guys.

I'm in a rush today so I didn't read every word from every reply.

Just because there's a hole in the spinner, that doesn't mean it is for a cannon. There are other reasons for a hole in the tip, such as for a starter lug or 'dog'.