WWI Aviation Pin Collection

cthomas

While rearranging the Riker mounts, I took this snap of some homeless pieces that didn't exactly fit with the collar disc display, nor the officer's insignia case. I dug out an unused, dusty Riker mount...a little elbow grease and they now have a nice clean home.

Yes, I realize some pieces are not WWI era. But I don't mind...

- Chuck

post-518-0-32816700-1457568690.jpeg

That 29th Division Aviation DUI is a really tough one to find.

So I hear. Never seen another myself....

It's also featured in Al Barnes' book "Let's Go!: The History of the 29th Infantry Division 1917-2001" http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764346369?follow-button-add=B00DVPY2NW_author&keywords=Al%20Barnes%2029th%20Division&qid=1457596744&ref_=sr_1_fkmr2_1&sr=8-1-fkmr2

Regards,

Chuck

world war I nerd

Very nice Chuck ... many of the designs shown are new to me. I particularly like the one with the horseshoe and the ones within the open circles.

I believe that 29th Div pin represents the crest of the 104th Squadron (Observation) of the Maryland National Guard, and dates to the early/mid 1920's.

If you guys can come up with a more concrete timeline for its use, I'd sure appreciate that.

I wasn't joking when I said it's the only example I've seen.

- Chuck

Infidelparatrooper

This seems like a good place to ask this. I'm sure you guys are much more knowledgeable out these pins than I am. What can you tell me about this pin that I have? All I know is that it is from the 185th Aero Squadron which was the United States only night fighter squadron of the war. Other than that I know nothing about it, except where it came from.

Front

post-162229-0-56630600-1457686412.jpg

Very nice collection! The small winged prop shown at the bottom with a three blade prop is Nationalist Chinese Air Force.

This seems like a good place to ask this. I'm sure you guys are much more knowledgeable out these pins than I am. What can you tell me about this pin that I have? All I know is that it is from the 185th Aero Squadron which was the United States only night fighter squadron of the war. Other than that I know nothing about it, except where it came from.

Front

attachicon.gifIMG_0774.JPG

This is a very neat pin! I don't remember ever seen its likeness before.

It sort of reminds me of an 82nd Division one I have in the collection. If I were to take an educated guess, they were made for the veterans to proudly display their unit/branch of service in the post war years. I do not believe it was anything official worn during the war & is not to be confused with the rare occasion an aviator was caught by the camera wearing his aero squadron pin (indeed, a very rare occurance!).

Lee Ragan - THANKS! I had no clue...

trenchbuff - that is high praise coming from you...

Very nice Chuck ... many of the designs shown are new to me. I particularly like the one with the horseshoe and the ones within the open circles.

Right on. Many are new to me as well (even after years of collecting), and it makes collecting these pins a constant challenge, albeit a pleasant one ;)

I'm also very intrigued by the pieces you pointed out. The ones with the circular background are hard to find. But that horseshoe pin may be a one-of...

-Chuck

Infidelparatrooper

This is a very neat pin! I don't remember ever seen its likeness before.

It sort of reminds me of an 82nd Division one I have in the collection. If I were to take an educated guess, they were made for the veterans to proudly display their unit/branch of service in the post war years. I do not believe it was anything official worn during the war & is not to be confused with the rare occasion an aviator was caught by the camera wearing his aero squadron pin (indeed, a very rare occurance!).

Lee Ragan - THANKS! I had no clue...

trenchbuff - that is high praise coming from you...

Thanks for the information.

• 1 year later...