Information on the Vietnam Tomahawk

avigo

Hey guys.
I'm interested in getting a couple of the cheap cold steel "vietnam" Hawks.

It got me thinking about the real Vietnam Hawks. What exactly were they issued/used for in an actual combat situation?

Here is one of the originals I'm talking about:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=272156011250&globalID=EBAY-US

thanks!

I'm not planning on buying a real one, just the Cold Steel reproduction.

Just curious what these were used for in Vietnam.

If you do a search of the Forum for Vietnam Tomahawk you will find several good topics on this subject. The topic started on 24 August 2013, I included some pics of some of the originals I have in my collection and some information on their use. From what I have been able to find out from talking to several Vietnam Veterans, very few of these Hawks actually made it to Vietnam, none were officially issued, they were all privately purchased, mostly through the Leatherneck magazine. Occasionally an original one goes on Ebay but I have never seen an original with the ordinance stamp on the handle. Remember, they were never officially issued by the Marines or Army.

Agreed these werent issued.

Know a local retired teacher whos brother served in Vietnam with the 101st.The unit/platoon he was in bought them.One member wrote home about carrying or using the hatchet.His mother thought it appalling and wrote off a letter to a state Senator or something and as the story goes the unit got a letter or order to stop using them.

Thanks guys!

I had no idea they weren't even actually issued.

Exactly the info I was looking for.

As a side note, does anyone here use them (the replicas) for day to day stuff like chopping wood or anything or are they too small?

The ones with the wood handle are pretty light for chopping wood. SOG makes a version that has a fiberglass or nylon handle which is probably a little better for actual use. These make good throwing hawks and chopping off chicken heads but I prefer a chain saw for heavy work. Actually, Pete LaGana also made a few of his tomahawks with fiberglass handles. I have never seen one, they are very rare.