Fake / Movie Prop Nuremberg Trials Liner on Ebay

Over last few weeks or months there were some "Nuremberg Trials" liner on Ebay Germany.

I think there were at least 4 or 5 of them for sale. Some had odd grey webbing A-straps riveted in and some were just regular M1 liners but they all had the identical looking decals on either one or both sides.

Before I go on I want to point out that I DO NOT blame the Ebay seller because he just sold them as "Winter Camo liners" and NOT as Nuremberg Trial liner!!! And he is probably not familiar with US military helmet liners.

I actually have bought two of them but from the beginning I was just not sure if they are real or not - I doubted it and I got proofed right! Since I never have seen an original NB Trials liner and the pictures on the web are few I decided to place a low bid and actually won. Liners were worth the the money just for the sweat band and leather chin strap so no loss at all.

The decals looked printed (actuality printed on paper) but who knows for sure how they looked 70 years ago but I always thought that they are faked or movie props on the other hand the paint job really looked old and not recently done but for a NB Trial liner the paint job looked just way too poor / odd / ugly - simply over painted. I would expect the paint job on a NB trials liner to look much better and not THAT ugly.

Long story short - one of the liners had a decal underneath the white paint (both sides) and I always wanted to scratch off the paint to see what decal it actually is. But I did not dare because I was just not sure.... I mean how many NB Trials liner have you seen in your life - I have seen NONE!

Anyway - I finally did it and under the white paint I have found remains of a BERLIN BRIGADE decals and the BB insignia with its distinguished BERLIN arc was introduced in 1951. And if I remember correctly and the Nuremberg Trials ended on Oct. 1. 1946 - if I´m right.

Conclusion - these liners were never worn during the Nuremberg Trials.

I´m just posting this as a reference hoping that no one will get fooled with these liners in 10 or 20 years.

post-5069-0-38658700-1457455516.jpg

Save Your Butt - Wear A Helmet

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif

When "borrowing" photos from other websites, please post a link to identify where they came from and give credit to the owner.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Please keep in mind the movie production "Judgement At Nuremburg". The film was made in 1961and part of the filming was done in West Berlin.

This might explain these helmets.

I tried looking for an on-line image from the movie, and the guards do have white helmets. But I could not locate a close up shot.

There was also a stage production done on Broadway in 2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_at_Nuremberg

The sad thing is if they are from the movie, they would have a value to movie memorabilia collectors in their original condition.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I see no need for snaps I don´t think they mere modified for claiming to be Airborne liners. I guess they are theater props but who knows.

Straps are for sure bogus but I just bought them because of the very rare chance that they are later modified but "probably" original NB Trials helmets.

As I said - who has seen an original NB Trials liners before? No loss at all and I´m not feeling fooled, parts alone where worth the money.I´m also glad I placed no higher bid. I just paid around 35€ each and that's well worth the sweat band, neckband and leather strap.

You can watch Judgment at Nuremberg online and the decals on their helmets look much larger so I doubt these liners are from this particular movie.The original decals on the liners you see on pictures of the original trial are smaller. I doubt there were many variants back then - if at all.

http://www.moviesub.net/watch/judgment-at-nuremberg-1961/2829.html

Hi Constabulary,

I have also seen this "liners". I compared the liners with original decals and decided very quickly that they were crap.

But I had additional information! The liners are from a theatre in Germany. Its name was "Theater hinter der Kerch". Look inside the liners and you will find this special abbreviation "THK". This theatre was closed several years ago and 2 years ago resellers started to sell the stuff. This included also many helmets!

By the way, your Airborne liner is a spanish infantry liner. In the auction the liner was fitted with an ww2 sweat band, leather chin strap which looked like late ww2 and a 50ies nape strap. 35 Euros was a good price ! :-)

These liners were most likely used in a theatre play and were very fast altered. Nobody (unless Ed Wood) would use such a badly produced movie prop in a hollywood movie.

Have a nice day

Martin

"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." (G.S.Patton)

These liners were most likely used in a theatre play and were very fast altered. Nobody (unless Ed Wood) would use such a badly produced movie prop in a hollywood movie.

That is funny!

Now if this is a Spanish liner, that might also call into question the Berlin Brigade markings as well.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

Thats what I assumed - theater props. Good information regarding the theater. I also see nothing Spanish - maybe the straps? The liners are FIRESTONE and CAPAC made so they are US. The sweat band and leather straps are also US and must have been in the liner when they have "reworked" them because they had remains of white paint.

Yeah! They are US but within NATO the United States gave a lot of equipment to Nato Members. You can find US Garands still today in Turkey and Greece. US M1 Helmets in Greece, Denmark and Spain (they are no longer in use of course). But this is only a small example.

Spain for example received massive help in 1965 from the US. They obtained thousends of helmets (remember during ww2 22million helmets were produced!!!) and Spain altered the liners to their own system.

Somehow this theatre bought these helmets and they reworked it again to use it in their plays. They removed the spanish hardware from the liners and fitted it with hardware from other liners. Or one of the last vendors tried to let it look more US style.

I have seen most of the theatre helmets. The theatre people had build adventurous constructions.

"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." (G.S.Patton)