LCOL Chester A. Snow Engraved WW2 Pilot Wings

trenchbuff

Not sure who made these nicely detailed wings since there is no hallmark, but thought I'd add them to the examples which have already been posted on the forum. LCOL Chester A. Snow flew in the China, Burma, India Theater during WW2. He also was a fighter pilot and served with the 94th Pursuit Squadron during WWI. The wings kind of have that quality Blackington look.

post-944-1220297251.jpg

post-944-1220297267.jpg

Do the wings has evidence of the die strike process along the edge? The photo you posted makes it appear to have a brass tone to the reverse which may just be the lighting.

The front looks like another pattern that does not jump to mind but lacks the detail. This again may jusybe due to the lighting. Maybe a theater made wing?

As for the inscription I think that is interesting the AC is included as seen on Air medals... and then U.S. Army...

John

Do the wings has evidence of the die strike process along the edge? The photo you posted makes it appear to have a brass tone to the reverse which may just be the lighting.

The front looks like another pattern that does not jump to mind but lacks the detail. This again may jusybe due to the lighting. Maybe a theater made wing?

As for the inscription I think that is interesting the AC is included as seen on Air medals... and then U.S. Army...

John

For sure die struck John. Sorry for the photos which do make them appear to have a gold tint. I'm pretty sure they're silver since they're showing the typical patina I see in other silver wings. Also pretty sure they're not CBI theater made...not crude enough.

A real beauty of a wing! I have seen these type of wings usually attributed to the mid-30's.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. That was my guess since Snow stayed in the reserves between WWI and 2.

For sure die struck John. Sorry for the photos which do make them appear to have a gold tint. I'm pretty sure they're silver since they're showing the typical patina I see in other silver wings. Also pretty sure they're not CBI theater made...not crude enough.

No worries - photos are always a tough thing i.e. lighting. A forum member Paul S. has a guide available that help with information on taking good photos. I am sure if you PM him he can get you a copy i.e. .pdf file.

From your post I imagine they are similar to the wings I have dated 1942 and of a pre-war make in my mind i.e. very heavy... are your like that?

John

John, Appreciate the photo tip. I really, really do need to improve my photo skills. These wings are moderately thick ones. I wish my photos showed more of the detail on the front. They have a little wear from use but you can still see some great feathering on the wings which always appeals to me.

Mark