Early mountain rucksacks

robinb

And what the Army adopted in 1941. One with the rattan frame and one with the steel frame.

MVC-097S.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Recently bought a couple of well-used '41 model Packs, stamped "POWERS & CO. 1942", which had enough decency between them to put together a good Rucksack.

The most used of the two had this on the frame; first time I've ever seen a rod-framed Pack with one of these...

post-3226-0-20636600-1458272989.jpg

Today I just received what I believe is a first pattern WWII Mountain Rucksack in the mail. It is in beautiful condition and even though a little faded, structurally it is in perfect condition, with NO rips, damage or obvious wear. Interesting observations are that I checked this bag everywhere with a strong light and could not find a hint of a maker ink stamp or date. There is a faded U.S. on the flap though and I wonder if this bag was made early enough in 1941 that it wasn’t stamped with the maker. The back support strap does not have the heavy felt pad attached, even though the ribbed shoulder straps each have one of these pads. The left side of the pack has the equipment attachment tab at the top and the right side has an identical tab at the bottom of the pack. The pack also uses the early metal frame compared to the rattan frame on the very first packs.

Any opinions or comments on the pack are welcome.

Bob

Here is the back view.

post-299-0-32453200-1458851936.jpg

Thanks Robin. I was very happy with how solid and nice of condition this pack was in when it arrived. BTW. I spent until midnight re-webbing the pack to look the same as yours. Here are the results. What do you think?

Bob

post-299-0-13033700-1458917075.jpg

Very nice Pack you scored there, Bob!

The Meese- and Baker-Lockwood-made 1st model Rucksacks' maker stamps faded out more than the Powers ones for some reason.

Here is where the stamp on yours should be:

post-3226-0-26543800-1458972180.jpg

Flage, Thanks for the kind words and weighing in on the subject and posting the nice photo. I checked exactly in that location on the flap and with a lighted magnifier can just make out the barest hint of an ink stamp there. It may be my imagination but I think I saw the faintest OO toward the end of the maker line. It seems like Meese- and Baker-Lockwood must have used invisible ink in their stampings. LOL.

Bob

LOLOL- Seriously! All the "Meese, Inc." '42 tube-frame Rucksacks around here have nice dark stamps, but all of the '41s are barely legible, even the ones in new condition. The "U.S." on the flaps are clear, but not so the maker stamps :huh: The "POWERS & CO." examples' stamps are all dark, however.

From your description, it sounds like you got a Baker-Lockwood pack. Here is one, alongside a "Meese, Inc.", with typical pale stampings...the "B.L."

is more multi-shaded in its construction than the "Meese"; the "Meese" stamp is somewhat covered by the dome snap...

post-3226-0-95270100-1459021807.jpg

mine is made by Baker-Lock wood with all the straps {rifle holding strap). But due to recent knee replacement I'm not going to be able to dig it out for pictures

• 6 months later...

I just found a rucksack maked HINSON MFG. CO. 1942 and several frames for it.

Some of the frames are steel and some are aluminum. Which is the correct frame for this pack?

I dont want to put it in my collection with the wrong frame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just found a rucksack maked HINSON MFG. CO. 1942 and several frames for it.

Some of the frames are steel and some are aluminum. Which is the correct frame for this pack?

I dont want to put it in my collection with the wrong frame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If your Pack is dated '42, the correct frame would be the one on the left (below). In 1943 they simplified the design with a single stamped sheet reinforcement in the center of the frame (right), rather than the 3 braces.

post-3226-0-19820800-1476464033_thumb.jpg

• 7 years later...