Help Identify Civil War Era Image

Am hoping someone can tell me if this is a Civil War or Indian Wars soldier. Thanks!

post-11143-0-89312600-1457405476.jpg

Contact me at: benlevinsohn@gmail.com

I collect a little bit of everything, Civil War - WWII. Very interested in valor groups, especially those that include KIA Purple Hearts. Also interested in unique homefront items.

In honor of my great-uncle, Lt. Arnold M. Bree, killed in a B-24 accident in the skies over Italy, January 30, 1945:

http://www.findagrav...r&GRid=64978949

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

post-11143-0-74608300-1457405503.jpg

I collect a little bit of everything, Civil War - WWII. Very interested in valor groups, especially those that include KIA Purple Hearts. Also interested in unique homefront items.

In honor of my great-uncle, Lt. Arnold M. Bree, killed in a B-24 accident in the skies over Italy, January 30, 1945:

Civil War. The Corporal is wearing a Model 1855 Rifleman's belt, which did not see much use after the Civil War and certainly not common during the Civil War, a model 1861 frock coat for enlisted ranks with shoulder scales.

Regards,

Terence

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Seeking Model 1895 and 1902 Named Officer coats as well as Spanish American War Tropical Uniforms.
Also pre WW2 marine uniforms. Always pre-1945 Colorado National Guard Items wanted! Also seeking Rhodesian

Uniforms and Gear used by Americans in the Rhodesian Security Forces during the Bush War (Africa).

Fortune cookie say: "An expert is someone that knows so much about so little."

Civil War for sure.

LEATHERNECK72

Advanced Collector and USMC Officer --- Paying top dollar for quality Marine Corps antiques. Kepis, shakos, helmets, hats, good conduct medals, old photos, fighting knives, hat and collar emblems, swords, guns, documents. Keep your USMC item in a Marine Corps family! Send me a PM and let me know what you have....

donation2014.gif

Ditto the above. Standard CW frock...w/shoulder scales....

it has an "early war" look to it.

The belt is unusual to see.

Federal infantryman.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

Thank you all for the detailed information. Is it possible that this is a slightly later copy of a Civil War photo. I ask because the mount looks like 1870s or 80s to me and the photographer (named on back) is Fernando Dessaur located at 551 Eighth Avenue in New York. I found a website that said he moved here in the 1870s.

Here is a photo of the reverse. It measures 4.25" x 6.5".

post-11143-0-66896400-1457491444.jpg

In my humble opinion, that is a cabinet card copy of a civil era image. It is a general rule of thumb that cabinet cards are post civil war (not appearing in the US until 1866).

Post war copies are often seen when the soldier in the image did not survive the conflict and the family wanted additional images of their loved one.

Interested in ACW & WWII Ohio Identified Items, especially Akron/Cleveland area

• 2 weeks later...

In my humble opinion, that is a cabinet card copy of a civil era image. It is a general rule of thumb that cabinet cards are post civil war (not appearing in the US until 1866).

Post war copies are often seen when the soldier in the image did not survive the conflict and the family wanted additional images of their loved one.

Brian - I too think it is a post-war copy, probably from the early 1870s. Thank you.

Is he holding an over coat in his lap?

I think it is an overcoat.

Definite post war copy image-- the slight graininess of the image is another factor along with the above GENERAL rule on dating (post 1865). Although Civil War cabinet cards are rare, they do exist.

Often you will see folks label all copy images as a soldier who died in the war-- without specific information on the soldier, the family/ or ex soldier may have just wanted another image.

Scott

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your help. I'm listing this photo for sale here on the forum.