Help Identify Civil War Era Image

ludwigh1980

Civil War. The Corporal is wearing a Model 1855 Rifleman's belt, which did not see much use after the Civil War and certainly not common during the Civil War, a model 1861 frock coat for enlisted ranks with shoulder scales.

Regards,

Terence

Ditto the above. Standard CW frock...w/shoulder scales....

it has an "early war" look to it.

The belt is unusual to see.

Federal infantryman.

Collector5516

Thank you all for the detailed information. Is it possible that this is a slightly later copy of a Civil War photo. I ask because the mount looks like 1870s or 80s to me and the photographer (named on back) is Fernando Dessaur located at 551 Eighth Avenue in New York. I found a website that said he moved here in the 1870s.

Brian from Columbus

In my humble opinion, that is a cabinet card copy of a civil era image. It is a general rule of thumb that cabinet cards are post civil war (not appearing in the US until 1866).

Post war copies are often seen when the soldier in the image did not survive the conflict and the family wanted additional images of their loved one.

• 2 weeks later...
Collector5516

In my humble opinion, that is a cabinet card copy of a civil era image. It is a general rule of thumb that cabinet cards are post civil war (not appearing in the US until 1866).

Post war copies are often seen when the soldier in the image did not survive the conflict and the family wanted additional images of their loved one.

Brian - I too think it is a post-war copy, probably from the early 1870s. Thank you.

Definite post war copy image-- the slight graininess of the image is another factor along with the above GENERAL rule on dating (post 1865). Although Civil War cabinet cards are rare, they do exist.

Often you will see folks label all copy images as a soldier who died in the war-- without specific information on the soldier, the family/ or ex soldier may have just wanted another image.

Scott

• 1 month later...
Collector5516

Thank you all for your help. I'm listing this photo for sale here on the forum.