Lafayette Flying Corps Badge

trenchbuff

I was fortunate enough to snag this Lafayette Flying Corps (LFC) badge several years ago when a prominent French collection was broken up. It came with the story, for what its worth, that it was given to the original collector by Layfayette Escadrille pilot Harold Willis. Unfortunately, there's no documentation. It is an original example though, so I thought I'd share it with the forum. There were two different versions of the the LFC badge, one with and one without a star. There was also a version suspended from a ribbon with "Escadrille Layfayette" between the eagle's wings. There doesn't seem to be any guidelines for who received which version and a detailed photo of Harold Willis clearly shows him wearing the version with star. I've also never found any reference as to what the star meant. Speculation is that the star indicated the member joined prior to U.S. involvement in the Great War.

post-944-1220295777.jpg

post-944-1220295799.jpg

I remember seeing some Lafayette Escadrille document framed with something like that inside the frame.

I think the document was from a LE veterans group, but I"m not sure.

I was fortunate enough to snag this Lafayette Flying Corps (LFC) badge several years ago when a prominent French collection was broken up. It came with the story, for what its worth, that it was given to the original collector by Layfayette Escadrille pilot Harold Willis. Unfortunately, there's no documentation. It is an original example though, so I thought I'd share it with the forum. There were two different versions of the the LFC badge, one with and one without a star. There was also a version suspended from a ribbon with "Escadrille Layfayette" between the eagle's wings. There doesn't seem to be any guidelines for who received which version and a detailed photo of Harold Willis clearly shows him wearing the version with star. I've also never found any reference as to what the star meant. Speculation is that the star indicated the member joined prior to U.S. involvement in the Great War.

Mark, You've been holding out on me!! - I have had the pleasure of owning 2 of the LE / LFC medals. Both of mine were of the broach and ribbon suspension. Wish I had'em back now that I've seen yours!!! A mutual friend of ours has both of them now!! Thanks for showing us this extremely rare piece,

Dennis

Very interesting - do you happen to have any photos of it on the uniform?

Thanks for posting.

John

Sorry, can't offer any photos of the badge being worn on a uniform John. Not fortunate enough to own any good studio shots of them. There are a couple good books on the Layfayette Escardrille and Flying Corps by Dennis Gordon which I believe have some good photos. Also the 2 volume set, "New England Aviators" might as well.

Great post Mark! Don't mean to horn in but while we are on the subject do you recognize this pilot? I think he is Lafeyette Flying Corp.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//m...-1220535952.jpg

Tom,

Tom, Looks like it might be James Norman Hall who did fly with the Escadrille Layfayette and then the 94th Pursuit Squadron. He was taken prisoner 7 May 1918 when the fabric on the upper wing of his Nieuport ripped off and he crash landed in enemy territory.

Very interesting - do you happen to have any photos of it on the uniform?

Thanks for posting.

John

John,

Here's a closeup of an Escadrille Lafayette pilot wearing his LFC badge under his pilot's badge on his right pocket. I'm hoping someone will post a photo of a pilot wearing the style with the ribbon suspension. The badges never had, or were meant to have, a ribbon suspension. I'd love to hear from other collectors with examples of these. There's still a lot the collecting community has to learn about these.

post-944-1220546496.jpg