WW1 Johnson Manufacturing Co. Wing

trenchbuff

This has always been one of my favorite wings. The Johnson Manufacturing Co. (JMC) wing is very similar in appearance and beauty to the wings produced by Tiffany Co., including the distinctive safety catch. I've always been curious about what other insignias JMC produced during the war, but have not been able to find anything else they made.

post-944-1220294365.jpg

post-944-1220294385.jpg

I am bumping this post back to the top i.e. BTT!

I do not have the depth of knowledge in the WW1 arena to comment on this wing but maybe there is someone out there who can comment on this post.

Just from the photos it looks to be a heavy wing with fine feather details. Are the details hand done or enhanced or is the wing just struck that way?

Thanks

John

I am bumping this post back to the top i.e. BTT!

I do not have the depth of knowledge in the WW1 arena to comment on this wing but maybe there is someone out there who can comment on this post.

Just from the photos it looks to be a heavy wing with fine feather details. Are the details hand done or enhanced or is the wing just struck that way?

Thanks

John

Its a struck piece which has probably been hand worked. This one and the Tiffany wing are probably two of the more artistically beautiful wings of that period.

I recall having a converstation with another collector friend and we were discussing the idea that Johnson Manufacturing Co. actually made the Tiffany wing under contract since they are so similar. The idea being that TIffany the retail store and Tiffany the design and art studio were two different unique things. I am not sure how true that is, but it isnt a unique situation for a manufacturing company to make a high end product for another company to sell under their brandname. Think of Luxenberg and Blackinton, for example.

Intersting research topic.

P

This has always been one of my favorite wings. The Johnson Manufacturing Co. (JMC) wing is very similar in appearance and beauty to the wings produced by Tiffany Co., including the distinctive safety catch. I've always been curious about what other insignias JMC produced during the war, but have not been able to find anything else they made.

Beautiful wing... really nice.

I recall having a converstation with another collector friend and we were discussing the idea that Johnson Manufacturing Co. actually made the Tiffany wing under contract since they are so similar. The idea being that TIffany the retail store and Tiffany the design and art studio were two different unique things. I am not sure how true that is, but it isnt a unique situation for a manufacturing company to make a high end product for another company to sell under their brandname. Think of Luxenberg and Blackinton, for example.

Intersting research topic.

P

You're right P. That wouldn't be a unique situation at all. I do know, and I'm sure you do also, there are wings with Tiffany marks as well. Maybe they couldn't make enough to satisfy all their requests. The frustrating thing about wings and insignia is the lack of detailed references that us collectors want.

By the way. Thanks for all your postings. I really enjoy them.

Mark

You are welcome Mark.

That catch is a perfect sign of this being a good wing. Tiffany used them, you see it on some USN wings, and this wing made by Johnson.

Here a a couple more pics of a Johnson-made WWI wing. These are not mine, but photos of wings sent to me by another person.

You cant see it here, but the have the same type of catch.

Patrick

post-1519-1220728359.jpg

post-1519-1220728397.jpg