Medal of Honor Group on eBay

Dave

I'm not negating the engraving on the Gott MoH, but wanted to provide an example of what Jeff Floyd was referring to regarding the flourishes and A.C. on the engraving. Enjoy...

attachicon.gifIMG_0131.JPG

Regarding the flourishes, they are the same ones you see on Legion of Merit medals engraved in the late 1945-1946 time frame. I even have a Bronze Star engraved with the same fourishes, but its the only one I have ever seen and it was sent to the recipient from the PQMD.

I believe the flourishes have more to do with the time period the medals were engraved and maybe the engraver that did them than anything else.

Kurt

Hi guys,as the present guardian of this rare group i would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this listing and and confirmed what i was quite confident off, that they are Donald Gott's original medals.As you now know these items have been removed by ebay now and i am waiting for a reply to the appeal i lodged with them.

As i had several enquiries about buying them for museums and there was 70 watchers i would like to let any interested parties know that they are still for sale and i am open to sensible offers under the original listing price of $30,000 as the owner keen to sell.

As i explained in the original listing i am selling these items as a favour for a friend and am not doing so for financial gain and ideally would like to see them back in the US and on display where they belong.

Regards,Steve

I think all that can be said about this airman and group has been; it is one heck of a piece of American history. Hopefully someday it will be repatriated.

To clean up a couple of loose ends in my previous post:

1. I found reference to the composition in Belden's United States War Medals (see attached); i should have known to look there first. Those produced for the 1904 contract were breast badges with split pinbacks. You will probably perceive the silver tone in all of the photos of older issues ever posted here at USMF (L. Van Iersal, the Audie Murphy breast badge/cravat photo, the Unknown Soldier badge located in Westminster Abbey, even Lindberg's). Personally i would suspect any WW2 or earlier one with a gilt tone purporting to be original-issue is at the very best a re-issue.

2. I mentioned an "S-hook". For those who have never seen one, my second photo shows that. I think its a very ingenious and secure solution to reconfiguring the original breast badge to a cravat. (the original contract delivered neck ribbons also). Removing the medal from the breast hook would take some work. As an aside: also notice that the holes in the two upper trefoils are countersunk; that is true for the obverse as well as the reverse. Consider that another characteristic for your checklist when assessing an older issue Gillespie style MH.

post-152102-0-53954800-1457802324.jpg

post-152102-0-40682800-1457802325.jpg

I would like to advise any parties interested in this group that i have now relisted it back on ebay UK with a very low start no reserve auction with a much lower buy it now and i think it also represents an excellent investment opportunity .I am prepared to work with any prospective buyer to get this group back to the USA.

Regards,steve.

Just curious, if someone had the money, and wanted to win the grouping to donate to a museum, how woukd one do that legally?

Just curious, if someone had the money, and wanted to win the grouping to donate to a museum, how woukd one do that legally?

I already thought about that. You simply have it shipped to the museum and YOU never take possession of it. It is not illegal to donate the money used to purchase it outside the US and have it sent to the museum. It seemed most appropriate, to me, to find a museum as close to his home town as possible.

I already thought about that. You simply have it shipped to the museum and YOU never take possession of it. It is not illegal to donate the money used to purchase it outside the US and have it sent to the museum. It seemed most appropriate, to me, to find a museum as close to his home town as possible.

Have you verified this with a lawyer? Before spending ANY money, I would verify all of this with a lawyer and with the museum.

...Kat

Plus remember that the MOH has no value in the U.S. So you might be better off donating the funds to the museum so they can acquire it. That way the entire donation is deductable. But then again, that stupid law may stop the museum from acquiring the historial item and returning to to this country after the donation. Goodness.. what cycle of stupidity huh?

Just check with professionals before anything is done. I have contacted the FBI directly and kept them updating weekly on similar transactions to ensure there were complications or violations of any laws (or interruptions of any laws). It worked out fine.

I would like to advise any parties interested in this group that i have now relisted it back on ebay UK with a very low start no reserve auction with a much lower buy it now and i think it also represents an excellent investment opportunity .I am prepared to work with any prospective buyer to get this group back to the USA.

Regards,steve.

Steve,

I know you said you are listing it for a friend but if you really want to help get this group back to the USA, why don't you work with a museum to see if they could work out a deal to buy it back rather than sell it on e-bay?

..Kat

Steve,

I know you said you are listing it for a friend but if you really want to help get this group back to the USA, why don't you work with a museum to see if they could work out a deal to buy it back rather than sell it on e-bay?

..Kat

Good suggestion. They have benefactors that can arrange the transaction.

Regards,steve.

Steve;

I cannot find the listing on the Ebay UK site. Could you post a link to it.

Hi kat,i am open to any and all suggestions and willing to discuss the options with any interested museum's management.The ebay uk listing number is 182055943678.The buy it now price is rather high as i could not list it with a buy it now price less than %40 higher than the start price and so the buy it now price would be negotiable as i would rather see the group returned to the US than sold to a foreign collector.

Steve.

Hi kat,i am open to any and all suggestions and willing to discuss the options with any interested museum's management.The ebay uk listing number is 182055943678.The buy it now price is rather high as i could not list it with a buy it now price less than %40 higher than the start price and so the buy it now price would be negotiable as i would rather see the group returned to the US than sold to a foreign collector.

Steve.

Here is the contact information for the Congressional Medal Of Honor Society. You could e-mail them to see if they might know of a museum you could contact regarding selling this medal back to the US.

http://www.cmohs.org/society-contact.php

Someone else might have a better suggestion but I would start with them.....Kat

I have information that this medal set was in a museum in Oklahoma until recently. It was retrieved from the museum by a family member.

Not sure how it got from Oklahoma to it's current location.

I have information that this medal set was in a museum in Oklahoma until recently. It was retrieved from the museum by a family member.

That is sad! Sounds like the "family member" sold it oversea's. Seems overseas sales have been booming since the law was created making it illegal here. : (

aerialbridge

Intended or unintended consequences of making the MOH contraband? I wonder how the proponents of that law would respond to that if it were true.

Intended or unintended consequences of making the MOH contraband? I wonder how the proponents of that law would respond to that if it were true.

It was "feel good" legislation by two nitwits for personal prestige without regard for the veterans, the artifacts and maintaining our history. They couldn't care less.

As historians of course, we would prefer if America's history stayed in America and support veteran's families who may need to sell artifacts to get by. But the misguided law will not change and our history will continue to be dispersed throughout the world to our detriment.

I hope this fine grouping ends up back on U.S. soil regardless of how it gets here. It is a great piece of history.

Can you share the information...