Need help identifying SSI and unit DI

viper8866

I'm trying to put together a shadow box for my late grandfather. Since the well known fire destroyed his service records I'm using old photos which is proving a challenge. Can anyone ID the unit SSI of the warrant officer in this photo? He was career army and retired in the NY area so this could be an NY unit. I think it's impossible to ID the unit DI but you win the big one if you can. This was an official army photo taken in 1954 when my Dad was being sworn in. My grandfather wore his old uniform but was long since retired. Interestingly he put the ribbon bar on top backwards! The WW1 victory ribbon should be first. Thanks.post-9268-0-71149700-1457384121.jpeg

Take a jewelers loupe 10x $15.00 for a good one at most coin or hobby shops. You'll see everything you need too. I do it all the time....patch looks lke 24th Division. Tropic Thunder!

Rakkasan187

I am seeing three possibilities. I see either the Army Service Forces insignia, US Army Western Pacific or the Alaskan Defense Command insignia with the Polar Bear. The odd shape of the lighter part of the insignia looks like it is indented..

Do you know if your grandfather ever served in Alaska??

If you can, take another picture and crop in as close as possible to the patch.. It may reveal better ideas..

Leigh

I know he was never stationed in Alaska but he did earn the asiatic pacific campaign medal while stationed in the Philippines. He was out right before it fell to the Japanese. It was likely his last posting before retiring. So it could be Western Pacific or just army service forces?

Under magnification the SSI turns out to be Army Service Forces - no lightning bolt it small stars which makes sense. The Army Western Pacific was not introduced until 1945, long after my grandfathers Philippine assignment. Special thanks to Leigh and Steve for helping me out. You guys are the best!

Rakkasan187

The great thing about this forum is the collaboration between members. We share knowledge and information and we also can learn lots of information from each other..

Glad that we all were able to assist you in this endeavor..

Leigh