67Rally

Baseball in the Armed Forces

Baseball in Adak, AK 1944-45...

SCAN0254.JPG

Looking for items related to the Ninth Coast Artillery District and 6th Coast Artillery Regment

A-batta-batta....  SWING!

SCAN0255.JPG

Looking for items related to the Ninth Coast Artillery District and 6th Coast Artillery Regment

One more...

SCAN0257.JPG

A-batta-batta....  SWING!

SCAN0255.JPG.321056330d9f3dd28b50d667edfe68a4.JPG

Is it me or is he swinging righty with a lefty grip? Love old time baseball wherever it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Kyle-

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2020.gif

Great eye!  Look at how he has choked up on the bat...  Bottom hand suddenly goes above the top hand.  Maybe that is from the lost art of chopping a single down the first base line!  I'm throwing at his head next time up :-)

Oh, one more...  The outfield.

SCAN0253.JPG

14 hours ago, T Ambrosini said:

Oh, one more...  The outfield.

SCAN0253.JPG

What a fantastic collection of images! Thank you for sharing your find!

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

1945 Cincinnati Reds signed plus what kind of armband? For a sports team? Definitely war time thx

D14F45EF-A24D-483B-BB6B-ED59341D3B1C.jpeg

49DE3459-FFEB-453D-B719-95F6C7BBB877.jpeg

9A8B9301-F61A-4A20-9676-60BCFB400D84.jpeg

Good morning (it is still morning out here) baseball fans,

I have been laying quite low in terms of the USMF however my activity has been rather intense in terms of baseball militaria. I have been making all sorts of discoveries in the past few years that I have been sharing. One such discovery surrounds integration of the game and the ranks. Perhaps this isn't something that gets others charged up but to see this and how things moved leading up to that day in 1945 when Branch Rickey signed the former Lt. Jack Roosevelt Robinson to a minor league contract.

https://chevronsanddiamonds.wordpress.com/2020/05/15/morrie-arnovich-breaking-ground-for-branch-rickeys-bold-move/

2020-05-17_10-10-12.jpg

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

One of my recent acquisitions. 1944 Navy flannel used in the Hawaii Leagues by the Pearl Harbor Submarine Base Dolphins team and possibly an All-Star game from that season. #30 was worn by former Philadelphia Athletics infielder, Al Brancato.

This uniform includes the trousers. The jersey has been professionally cleaned, removing the oxidation and successfully concealing the heavy stains.

20200608_180258.jpg

The back.

20200608_181143.jpg

Johnny Mize in his Navy flannels, 1944.

2020-06-08_08-12-12.jpg

Wow...  That Al Brancato jersey is amazing!

Tom

53 minutes ago, T Ambrosini said:

Wow...  That Al Brancato jersey is amazing!

Tom

Thanks! I have no provenance to tie it directly to Brancato so I can't say for certain that he wore it. The uniform was part of an estate that came out of Virginia. I know that Brancato did NOT have this in his estate (I am in communication with one of his kids) when he passed. He did have some uniforms that he sold or gave away but there is no recollection of any service-related baseball uniforms.  That is not to say that I can rule him out, I just can't tie it to anyone specifically without the hard evidence.

Its a great looking jersey, either way!

Tom

4 hours ago, T Ambrosini said:

Its a great looking jersey, either way!

Tom

Thanks, Tom! 

I have been quiet on this thrread for so long and I am realizing that my baseball militaria collection has grown exponentially since my posting activity faded. 

My one and only baseball uniform from WW2...  USN Training and Distribution Center (TADCEN).  I apologize for the poor quality of the images.  The color is washed out in the photos...

20200610_110905.jpg

More...

20200610_111020.jpg

The pants...

20200610_111329.jpg

1 hour ago, T Ambrosini said:

My one and only baseball uniform from WW2...  USN Training and Distribution Center (TADCEN).  I apologize for the poor quality of the images.  The color is washed out in the photos...

20200610_110905.jpg

That is damned-sexy!

I would love to see the close-ups of the material, tags and buttons.

have a few cotton-duck/canvas baseball uniforms (four, I believe). This is one of my favorites.

39708068365_c7922eb3aa_c.jpg.74950eac87e22da51f7fb639ab857ad0.jpgI
26731244728_8d75e8ef9b_c.jpg.8f8449297213b150014c43eef495be49.jpg40560777002_c3668e9f31_c.jpg.2b78fbc2e60272dc40a0fc7ea56d1d66.jpg

26731256308_2affb93bd4_c.jpg

This week has been quite a good one for this collector of baseball militaria. The arrival of this USS Phoenix (CL-46) group, headlined by the flannel that you see below, has been the realization of a dream. Being a Pac Fleet sailor with countless visits to Pearl Harbor (and subsequent visits to the USS Arizona Memorial), I have wanted to land something notable from a Pearl Harbor veteran. Having it be baseball-connected hits that desire out of the park!

See more

USS_Phoenix_Jersey.jpg.5f9ee9dfe041157b9038474cfc599a33.jpg

Just thought I would add my dad's team as part of the Marine Detachment at NAS Coco Solo, Canal Zone in 1945. He's standing middle of the back row with the only dark tee shirt.

usmcteam.jpg

RIP Molly...Oct. 2000 - July 2013 For 13 years you have been my best friend and companion, giving love and asking only for love in return. May you rest now, free from your pain. I will miss you girl, and will keep you in my heart forever....the sweetest dog and best friend ever! I'll see you again one day.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

25 minutes ago, TLeo said:

Just thought I would add my dad's team as part of the Marine Detachment at NAS Coco Solo, Canal Zone in 1945. He's standing middle of the back row with the only dark tee shirt.

usmcteam.jpg

Great photo! I love seeing these softball team photos! I have a few of them in my library.

There is a long tradition of baseball at Coco Solo going back into the 1920!

Mickey Harris was down there running baseball leagues during the war.

That USS Phoenix jersey is simply amazing.  What a great piece of history!  You have done a great job with your Chevrons and Diamonds website!

Tom