70th Infantry Division ''Trailblazers'' KIA Purple Heart

KevinS

This KIA Purple Heart belonged to PVT Ralph E Adams, ASN: 39598171. Ralph, born on 26 November 1923, entered service on 19 August 1944 from Alhambra, California. Pvt Adams left the States on 5 January and was a new infantry replacement for Company B, 275th Infantry Regiment, 70th Div. He joined them 14 February 1945 while the 70th Div was fighting the approaches to Saarbrücken, Germany. Only one week later Pvt Adams was killed in action..

''Willard Hawke's Baker Company at Alsting, in the valley behind Stiftswald, also had its hands full. With a block set up at Alsting, apparently Hawke ran a patrol up te road toward Spicheren, where it was outgunned by a larger German force. Suffering nine casualties, five of Hawke's men were wounded and another four were killed. Sergeant Willie R. Martin, one of the January 'fills' who joined Baker Company on the 26th, lesst han a month earlier, was one of the men killed near Spicheren. PFC Harold C. David and Privates Ralph E. Adams and Norbert T. Walensa were also killed'' .

Pvt Adams was Missing In Action until his remains were recovered on 19 March 1945. He had been killed by shrapnel fragments to his head and right side. Adams was only 21 years old and buried at the Epinal Cemetery in France.

His parents received a couple of items that were on his body including his ID bracelet and shrapnel torn billfold so if anyone owns anything ID'ed to this Pvt please let me know as I would love to see these items.

post-4808-0-74573700-1457377900.jpg

post-4808-0-42368100-1457377916.jpg

post-4808-0-17941900-1457377932.png

aerialbridge

Thanks a lot for the headstone inscription as I didn't have a copy of it yet! I got a lot of paperwork to go with the Purple Heart so that's where I got a lot of information. The details of his death were in my 275th IR Unit History. I think I don't have his complete IDPF so I'm still thinking about hiring a researcher to find out more..

What do you guys think? Is it still possible to locate some of his personal effects including his bracelet?

Anything is possible but what it really comes down to is luck, who knows were his items are now but always keep an eye out on ebay you never know what will come up for sale there!

• 11 months later...
ParanormalTrooper

Very nice item and fantastic research... this is the 72nd anniversary of him being KIA right?

Anyways, well put together and this is a good example of what Purple Hearts Reunited (and the lawmarkwrs) doesn't want people to see!

• 9 months later...

@ Doug, you have to place flowers at the grave on certain dates (Memorial Day, his birthday etc..).

If anyone out here has any items that belonged to Ralph please let me know.

Nice work Kevin!

I see you are a 70th Division supporter. My Grandfather was KIA January 45 and is buried in Epinal. He was 276th.

Thank you for keeping the 70th alive!

Best,

Larry

• 8 months later...

''His parents received a couple of items that were on his body including his ID bracelet and shrapnel torn billfold so if anyone owns anything ID'ed to this Pvt please let me know as I would love to see these items''.

Still looking for any items ID'ed to Pvt Adams.

• 1 year later...