Military Jeep?

kilgarvan

Great jeep. I noticed the "F" mark on the back of the seat. Save that seat even with the modifications to the pan. Save those Data Plates. Even a fully restored jeep looks great with ratty original data plates. Go slow. Get knowledge. An MB frame,(Willys) has a curved round tubular frame piece under the radiator. The GPW frame has a straight Channel piece. The picture shows the back half of a Willys frame. If yours is early enough, it would look like this.post-26996-0-71275100-1457798945.jpg Sorry about using two pics. Just don't know what I'm doing.

post-26996-0-02546300-1457799019.jpg

That frame has a GPW-style machinegun mounting plate though?

The first GPW's used a Willys frame indeed as stated earlier, but they did not have a frame# stamped on a plate that was rivited to the left front frame horn (between the bumper and the grill) as had the frames used by Willys. Instead they had the frame# stamped directly onto the frame near the left engine mount. All GPW's had their frame# stamped here.

That's why I agree with you that you need to know what you're doing before jumping into a restoration. The jeep is a 1945 GPW. The entire rear of the jeep was "farmer re-manufactured" . I had to replace the entire back end of the jeep. Back then, there wasn't the internet help that there is now. I bought an MB frame that had a good back end, but a messed up front end. I cut the back off and used it to complete my messed up back end. An original WWII jeep back end was better than what I had even though it was an MB frame instead of GPW. I found a proper rusty tub, again, bad in front and good at the rear. I glued it to my original front end. All in all, it turned out pretty good. The finished pic does not show the markings or the "upholstery", but still a good picture.

Marv

post-26996-0-41565000-1457820575.jpg

post-26996-0-16526500-1457820590.jpg

MB and GPW frames differ at the rear too, but you sure brought that one back from the dead! Congratz on an excellent job, makes mine look easy! :P

MB and GPW frames differ at the rear too, but you sure brought that one back from the dead! Congratz on an excellent job, makes mine look easy! :P

Thanks for the nice comment. Yes I know. I put the back half of an MB frame on a GPW. I've regretted it ever since. Learn about it before you do it!

Marv

Like I said before, your jeep was made in a period when there were still a lot of small changes made in the design... almost daily. If you want to know what parts are correct for yout date of delivery I think the books by Lawence Nabholtz and John Farley will give a good idea, combined with the g503,com forums.

Please post more (and bigger) pics when you have a chance! ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

Got all the dirt and leaves and 30 years of being outside cleaned out. This is what we are looking at...

post-150849-0-76653300-1459727706.jpeg

Any additional thoughts on the new pics I posted would be welcomed. We plan to purchase the suggested books.

That seat is not for your Jeep. And that windshield frame looks home built. Maybe the inner frame is original but not the outer.

P-40Warhawk

Looks like someone lost their souvenir 70 years ago when it fell under a seat??