Military Jeep?

kilgarvan

My brother in law just picked up this jeep. Looking to help him ID it. We don't know much about it but the price was right!

Any thoughts on anything welcomed! Era? Is this military? Where should we look to figure that out?

Sorry, these are the only pics we have.

post-150849-0-47242000-1457370927.jpeg

Where is the data plate located? Thanks. Additional thoughts and comments welcomed.

I'm excited this is world war 2!!!!!

Go over to the G503 web site.Great people with tons of info and resources for a restoration.If you plan to restore,document it and start a tread so we can all see.We all love a good project on here with lots of pictures.

Good luck

Bob

Where is the data plate located? Thanks. Additional thoughts and comments welcomed.

I'm excited this is world war 2!!!!!

On the glove box door. Often they are painted over.

Thanks for the location of the data plate. I'll try and get that info posted. Might take a day or two.

Thanks guys.

It seems to be either a Willys MB or a Ford GPW WW2-era jeep. The dataplates are located on the right side of the dashboard. Does it have a glove compartment? The pics are too small to see any detail, please post them in larger format and if you can some more pics overall, especially the engine, rear, inside and the front. I have a hunch what it is but can't say anything with these pics.

The g503.com jeep forums are the home of the world's collective knowledge on WW2 jeeps and registering there should be your next step.

I strongly advice you NOT to start working on it till you exactly know what you have. Although your pics are too small to see any detail I do see some original parts that are usually missing from restoration projects.

Working on more pics.....might be until tomorrow before I can get them. Thanks guys.

So if I understand correct, we shouldn't use this for our hunting jeep to bash through the woods with??? Restore it??

Working on more pics.....might be until tomorrow before I can get them. Thanks guys.

So if I understand correct, we shouldn't use this for our hunting jeep to bash through the woods with??? Restore it??

As it is your jeep you can do what you want with it, but upon hearing you intended to use it as a trail ride my heart sunk.

This should be restored.

Our plan was that if this wasn't anything to use for hunting. Don't worry....sounds like this is not the jeep to use hunting and to restore it. Just looking for confirmation here a restoration project is the way to go. Sounds like this is something that should be restored and NOT USED for the woods. I hope that helped your sunk heart, LOL......

Just to clarify, now that this jeep is indeed world war 2, we are NOT going to use if for hunting and plan to RESTORE it. In the event, as I know nothing about these, that this jeep was just a rust bomb from the 70's, then we planned to use it in the woods. We are really excited this is world war 2.

I'm working on more pics and will post when I can. Hoping for some more help on ID when I post the additional pics.

Thanks for the advice on the G503 website as well.

Thanks again lads....

Headlights are a good start for checking the vintage. As is the indentations for the pioneer kit. Also this looks like a great jeep for restoration. I can't tell how bad the rust is but that can be fixed.

Ronnie

I'm very happy to hear you've decided to restore it, these are getting rarer and like I said, it seems to have some military parts that are usually missing.

The pic of the dataplate confirmed what I was thinking. You have a Ford GPW and not just any GPW, but one of the earliest made! Production of the GPW started in February 1942 and yours is delivered on March 26th, 1942. It will have an MB frame though (Ford started production on Willys-supplied frames) and should have 'Ford' stamped in the rear panel.

This jeep is a rare and sought-after early model, and absolutely worthy of restoration. Almost all GPW parts are marked with a script 'F' and bring a premium over MB parts, and early parts can be hard to find and expensive. Almost everything is reproduced though. Have a look at the parts. Even the bolt heads will have the script 'F'. Original bolts sell for around $5 a piece, so carefully when you try to loosen them! :D

Your first job: photograph everything, from every angle. It will greatly help you in your restoration later!

RustyCanteen

Looks like an early first contract Ford GPW.

You may want to check the side of the engine block (below the distributor on the passengerside) for signs of a freeze crack. These L134 engines were very prone to cracking there during winter.

RustyCanteen

The engine looks WWII period, but looks like it may have been replaced later in the war or postwar. That is definitely not unusual, and an early Ford with the original matching engine is pretty rare. The big box on the passenger fender in the engine compartment is a voltage regulator, and looks like it could be the original one installed when it left the factory; you can check the small dataplate on the lid for a date code. At the very least it appears to be the correct 6v version for a WWII jeep. The aircleaner on the carburetor is definitely not original, and the correct one is missing. I think your GPW was late enough that it would have had an early Oakes aircleaner, and they can be found. It's possible yours might be in the range when they were switching over from the original 'pancake' AC to the Oakes AC, but you would need to do more research.

On the passenger side of the engine, look for casting markings (numbers) that were cast into the engine block. That will at least tell us who made your engine, and roughly when. Also get photos of the markings on the engine head. The engine serial number should be stamped on a small raised 'pad' that is sort of oval shaped; it is located in the upper right corner of the passenger side of the block. It will be hard to see it, since the oil filter will be right in front of it.

You might even have a treasure in that horn, provided it turns out to be the proper one.

I think the engine block itself is post-WW2, which is common to find as Ford blocks were not very strong and prone to cracking due to freezing. The head does seem WW2, as do the manifolds, dipstick, oilfilter and voltage regulator. The manifolds and dipstick are from after the change to the positive crankcase ventilation though. Radiator is probably Willys.

In the period your jeep was made lots of small changes in production were made all the time and it will be a nice challenge to find out what type you'll need of every part. :)

I should add to that, your first investment should be some good books on WW2 jeeps. Reprints of the original TM's are available cheap (for free as PDF even) and are needed for the technical side of the restoration. The g503.com forums are for all your technical questions, as well as what parts are correct for your date of delivery. There are also a number of books on this subject.

Roughly, there are 2 classes of restoration. 'Factory Class' is a restoration back to the condition it was in the day it left the factory, including all correct parts. This is very hard and requires a serious financial commitment. 'Motorpool Class' is a restoration back to how it could have looked like sometime during its service, and it can have replacement (WW2) parts along with fieldmodifications. This is easier to do and the route most people take.

Jeeps are relatively easy restorations. The technique and bodywork are simple, and literally every part is available as a reproduction (some better than others). There are also a number of parts dealers to choose from, and drawings to fabricate parts yourself.