A Civil War souvenir from the Gettysburg Campaign

USCapturephotos

USCapturephotos

I love this piece and have been meaning to post it for sometime. My good friend found two of these between the pages of a 19th century family Bible here in Pennsylvania. I wish they would have written their name down.

Paul

post-100030-0-43640900-1457223873.jpg

That is really nice. Is the note on a separate piece of paper? I wonder if the Reb/soldier was paying for something - "left by" sort of makes you wonder. I'd also imagine Confederate money didn't mean much to a Yankee.

dave peifer

That is really nice. Is the note on a separate piece of paper? I wonder if the Reb/soldier was paying for something - "left by" sort of makes you wonder. I'd also imagine Confederate money didn't mean much to a Yankee.

my thoughts also,maybe a token left to a gettysburg civilian who may have rendered aid to a confederate soldier.as said it wasn't worth anything as money but kept for some reason by the individual or family.........i would keep it with the bible if possible.............dave

USCapturephotos

Hi everyone. Yes, I have had the same feeling that it may have been left as a token of some sort. I don't own the Bible that it was found in but my friend does along with the other note. The writing is on the back of the money itself. I am no expert on Confederate denominations but some were just printed on the front with plain backs and that is the case with this bill. I just love it.

Paul

alarmadillo

That's a nice piece of history you have; thanks for showing it.

For what's worth, when I looked at this post, I seemed to remember reading somewhere that the Confederates did indeed purchase things from the merchants in Chambersburg.

A quick google search ("confederates purchasing goods in chambersburg") had several hits referring to this; it did happen. Here's just one of the hits copied:

" "Wednesday June 17, 1863. [Now this starts to get personal, as Jacob Hoke’s dry good store on the square will be affected.] About eight o’clock this morning General Jenkins ordered the stores and shops to be opened for two hours, and that his men should be permitted to purchase such articles as they personally needed, but in all cases must pay for what they got. Business accordingly went on very briskly for awhile with those who had not removed or secreted their entire stock. Fortunately for us and many others, but little was found in our stores; but what little we had which the soldiers could buy under the order was quickly bought up and paid for in all imaginable kinds of scrip. Not only Confederate notes were paid us, but shin-plasters issued by the city of Richmond and other southern corporations. While this traffic was in operation, a Confederate soldier seized a number of remnants of ladies’ dress goods, which we had left lie on the counter, not thinking them worth hiding, and putting them under his arm walked out and down past Jenkins’ headquarters. The General came quickly out and caught the fellow by the back of the neck and ran him back into the store on the double quick, saying to us, “Did this man get these here? And did he pay for them?” Upon being told that he had taken them and had not paid for them, the General drew his sword and, flourishing it above the man’s head and swearing terribly, said, “I’ve a mind to cut your head off.” Then turning to us he said, “Sell my men all the goods they want; but if any one attempts to take anything without paying for it, report to me at my headquarters. We are not thieves.” "

(the above was found at: http://https://www.lycoming.edu/umarch/chronicles/2012/Hoke.pdf )

If only that note could talk; it just might have quite a story behind it. That's a very nice "note with a note"!

- Robbie

USCapturephotos

Hey Robbie. I really got a kick out of reading that. Thanks so much for sharing. I will probably print it off and put it with the piece

Paul

alarmadillo

Paul, I am glad that I was able to add some possible history to your Confederate note. I think that it's really a super nice piece; thanks for sharing it. Best regards, Robbie.