Ithaca Mdl 37 Trench gun serial numbers

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

Hello fellow Military shotgun collectors,

With some help from other fellow collectors I have been able to confirm that Ithaca Trench gun serial numbers do not end at serial # 61,450. They appear to end around 62,124 or thereabouts. I have also spoken with Bruce Canfield about this and he agrees that the range is higher than 61,450. My advice would be to check with the guys on the Ithaca forums and ask them to check your serial number before you think that the gun you have is not a legitimate Trench shotgun. One of the guys over on that forum has copies of the original Ithaca records that were surrendered to the BATF when they closed. I guess the silver lining for me is the person that had this gun has had trouble selling it because of the " serial number ends at 61,450 remarks" that are often cited. My particular gun is on page 5 of the shipping records dated July 15,1942. It was in crate # 134 and is the first serial # listed in the crate of 10 Model 37's in the crate. They were shipped to the Augusta Ordnance Depot in Augusta, Georgia.

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

Here is a photo of the inspectors marks. You can also see Amzi Tubbs stamp in this photo.

post-2249-0-61789100-1457282808.jpg

USMC RAIDER COLLECTOR

A photo of the serial # partially obscured. Note the number 0 above the serial number. This denotes cylinder bore.

post-2249-0-59793400-1457284093.jpg