Relief Wings: Ruth Nichols 1940 Civilian Humanitarian Service by Air

"Relief Wings" was an air rescue ambulance service for disaster relief establish in 1940 by aviation pioneer Ruth Nichols. It's purpose was to supply medical information and aid to civilians affected by disasters whether natural or caused by war. Organized in 36 states and run primarily by women, it's slogan was "Humanitarian Service by Air."

When the U.S. entered World War II, "Relief Wings" became an adjunct service of the Civil Air Patrol and Ms. Nichols was appointed a lieutenant colonel in the CAP.

The wings measure 1 3/8" wide X 1 1/16" high.

Cliff

post-4542-0-42262900-1457150712.jpg

Patchcollector

Not long ago this Wing was on eBay.I had never seen one before so I grabbed the images for reference.

post-13386-0-03453200-1457153756.jpg

post-13386-0-98774400-1457153760.jpg

post-13386-0-34511900-1457153764.jpg

Not long ago this Wing was on eBay.I had never seen one before so I grabbed the images for reference.

It was kind of you to post those 'before' photos.

Yes it is the same badge that was listed on eBay. I thought about leaving its original patina alone. . . but sometimes old habits are hard to break. Hopefully no one will be offended by my doing that.

Cliff

Cliff,

That is a beautiful badge and thank you for posting it!

On the matter of cleaning; I generally fall in line with Duncan on the matter. While we will probably never come to a full agreement in the collecting community, several thoughts come to mind:

1) I have never seen a real badge's value hurt by careful and appropriate cleaning

2) Any Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine who wore dirty, tarnished insignia would have been "gigged" for it

3) Despite what some want to believe; all patinas can be reproduced--such that even experts cannot discern a difference

Personally, having been around antique silver for a lifetime, I feel that old sliver looks best when the highlights are gently polished and the recesses retain dark patina. I just like the contrast.

I know that there are others who feel that patina is nearly sacred. I respect that too. I think there is room enough in the hobby for all of us!

Best wishes.

Chris

Cliff,

Thank you for sharing images of your rare "Relief Wings" badge and expanding our knowledge a bit more. Because of its relatively small size, would that badge have been worn on the chest, collar, or overseas-style cap?

Cliff,

Thank you for sharing images of your rare "Relief Wings" badge and expanding our knowledge a bit more. Because of its relatively small size, would that badge have been worn on the chest, collar, or overseas-style cap?

Russ,

That is a very good question. That badge or pin would have been worn on an overseas cap.

There was also a winged insignia that looked similar to the pin that would have been sewn on the uniforms when "Relief Wings" was first organized in May, 1940 - prior to its becoming an adjunct service of the Civil Air Patrol. It was approximately 2 1/4" wide in size but I've never been able to locate one.

Cliff

Russ,

Here is a picture that will give you an good idea what the May 1940 style Relief Wings uniform would have looked like. Notice the wings on the uniform itself. My understanding is that these were embroidered in thread and sewn on.

Cliff

post-4542-0-11409900-1457468109.jpg

Cliff,

The extent of your knowledge always frames the exquisite choices you make in collecting, with gold.

Thank You My Friend