preserving metal on green buckles?

mruiz

I recently purchase some WWII gear, and we know the snaps or buckles turn green. I have been touching them up with a dash of Mobil 1 grease.

Only the metal part. I have good results. No more green and brings out the original look.

I think it is a good idea.

But someone here is going say I am wrong.

Thank you for your input.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchase some WWII gear, and we know the snaps or buckles turn green. I have been touching them up with a dash of Mobil 1 grease.

Only the metal part. I have good results. No more green and brings out the original look.

I think it is a good idea.

But someone here is going say I am wrong.

Thank you for your input.

If you already think that someone is going to say you're wrong, then you must have a doubt about this being a good idea.

So, here's a thought, not saying you're wrong, but petroleum products, even grease are considered liquids and do spread, albeit slowly in the case of grease. This will eventually infiltrate the fabric portions of your gear thus permanently staining them. Old adage among collectors: less is best.

"This will eventually infiltrate the fabric portions of your gear..."

That is, or could, for sure be, true... when the treated metal comes in contact with a textile.

Small risk, but risk.

Point is, go very gently and lightly with highly useful petroleum products.

Let me add, I am a helmet collector and we make it clear, nothing with a petroleum base should ever be used on any part of a helmet. It softens paint causing the paint to flake off, it stains fabric and quickens(does not preserve) the deterioration of old leather. I'm guessing that these are the same things which will occur with gear.

• 2 weeks later...