What is your opinion on this 1905-13 GM1c?

David Minton

David Minton

Just picked up this Gunner's Mate 1c on eBay for $5. While I thought it looked good, someone on a Facebook group suggested it was a fake. I didn't think anyone was faking this period, and if so, not this well; I have a few others of this type. But at $5, I'm not dissapointed even if it isn't a period original.

post-132988-0-84976500-1457109900.jpg

David Minton

What would be fake about it?

Thanks for looking Steve. Someone commented he thought it looked too clean to be over 100 years old.

I'm happy it is in the condition it is, and despite how clean it is, feel the stitching and material look correct. You know I have not been collecting that long, but despite this have enough from this period and the 1900s-20s to think I know what is genuine.

Above all, I'm open to learning what I don't know.

Too clean! Yeaaaahhhhhh. Any way, it probably was just not used and put in a box some place and forgotten. I have WW2 rates that are pristine. And, there is no way you can reproduce this, to this detail and quality for $5.

I always loved these rates. The first time I saw one of these it was a GM2/c on a Dress White Jumper in the museum in NTC San Diego. It also had a red hash mark. The Navy definitely should have brought this Dress White uniform combination back rather that that the crappy "Reverse Negative" of the Dress Blues they created out of nothing.

I concur with Steve. Legit....@ $5??? Sheesh, where was my head? ?

For the record, it does appear to have been cleaned at some point.

You have to look past the fresh bright red color of the chevrons. Once you do that and look at the quality embroidery and detail, you know it's good.

I agree it has probably been cleaned. It has also been shaped for use, but never used. If you look at the back, you can see a small rusty hole. I think this was part of someone's collection

I agree with all the above; there's really not a strong enough market for that kind of item to make faking it worth someone's while. I also agree with Steve, the red and blue on white combo made for some fine looking rating badges.

Justin B.

I agree with all the above; there's really not a strong enough market for that kind of item to make faking it worth someone's while. I also agree with Steve, the red and blue on white combo made for some fine looking rating badges.

Justin B.

. Especially on the Dress Whites with the blue collar and cuffs. I hated wearing whites, 26 years, every Sumer, hated them. But I'd have need happy to wear the pre '26 Dress Whites (I was Pacigic Fleet). They just looked so sharp!!

David Minton

Justin B.

Believe it or not there are reproductions of early 20th century rates. I found both Aviation Rigger and Aviation Quartermasters on eBay today. They aren't good enough to fool anyone with experience around originals, but they are out there.

Aviation Rigger: Image from eBay auction (not mine)

post-132988-0-42447100-1457378259.jpg

Believe it or not there are reproductions of early 20th century rates. I found both Aviation Rigger and Aviation Quartermasters on eBay today. They aren't good enough to fool anyone with experience around originals, but they are out there.

Oh yeah, I've seen those! What I meant was, going to the trouble it would have taken to make one like your example.