Favorite WWII USMC Uniform

BelligerentBlue

BelligerentBlue

So as some have seen, I'm liquidating the collection in preparation for my first little one. In doing so, I've dug up some old memories, things I've forgotten I've had and some old favorites.

In doing so, I've pulled out one of my favorites tonight. I'm not sure if I can part with this one yet until I find out more about him.

So this uniform is huge. I'm 6'1 and 215#, I usually wear a 40L jacket. I usually never put a uniform on, but when I got this one I had to. I've got a couple inches in the sleeves, and a couple inches in the chest, and that's with a tshirt and hoodie on. I wish I had a picture of this guy or a paper stating how big he was. The other thing is he spent 13 years in the Marine Corps, and hit the rank of... PFC. He did time in China and was deployed during WWII. One has to really question his time in service and what all happened during his time. You'll also notice some nice adornments on both shoulders.

Anyways, I thought I would snap some pictures to share with you all. His name was Philip P O' M a r a

post-86536-0-86398600-1457066117.jpg

post-86536-0-13377600-1457066123.jpg

post-86536-0-58264100-1457066128.jpg

suwanneetrader

Someone with Ancestory would be able to tell you what battles he was in. With the large white discharge diamond I would think he was discharged not long after this jacket was made. I have a Marines uniform who was in along time and until WWI always in the Brig and being busted for going home for a short visit whenever he liked. When the chips were down and he was in WWI combat he was named in French Battle Report and decorated for bravery. Hope someone helps you. (I would but do not have that service) Richard

He was so big the depot had to make him a special uniform as noted by the depot tag. His was not a normal contracted uniform from College Hall Fashions etc. Great piece of history about the supply/material side of history.

He was so big the depot had to make him a special uniform as noted by the depot tag. His was not a normal contracted uniform from College Hall Fashions etc. Great piece of history about the supply/material side of history.

A couple years ago, I bought an Ike jacket from the daughter of the vet. He was 6'6" and she mentioned that he had to wait six weeks to get a uniform and pants that fit him since they didn't have anything in stock on the base.

Here's what I found on him from Ancestry.com

Philip P. O'Mara, Jr - joined the Marine Corps on Sep 27, 1932 at Philadelphia, PA

Nov 1932 - private - Assigned to Marine Barracks Detachment, Navy Yard, Philadelphia after basic training

Dec 1933 - Private O'Mara went to Co. A, 2nd Marines, First Brigade, in Port Au Prince, Haiti. Was in Haiti until the end of June, when he joined Co. C, 2nd Bn, Fleet Marine Force, based at Quantico, VA

Nov 1934 - Private O'Mara joined Co.B, First Bn, 6th Marines, FMF Pacific, at San Diego, CA

April 1936 - Private O'Mara joined Co. A, Marine Detachment, American Embassy in Peiping, China. O'Mara was in China until June 1938.

Jul 1938 - aboard ship returning to the continental United States (USS Henderson)

October 1938 - O'Mara was back at the Marine Barracks, Philadelphia Navy Yard, Phila.

** May 1939 - O'Mara was finally promoted to PFC! (several previous records had notes stating he was under investigation for some unspecified offense - sounds like he got into trouble fairly often).

Dec 1940 - PFC O'Mara transferred to the General Service Unit, 4th Reserve District, Phila. Sounds as if O'Mara has left active duty and is in the inactive reserves.

July 31, 1943 - PFC O'Mara rejoined the active Marines,

Oct 1943 to early 1944 - 2nd Guard Co., Marine Barracks, Philadelphia Navy Yard, Phila.

Apr 1944 - assigned to the 43rd Replacement Bn, Camp Lejeune, NC

Jul 1944 - present with the HQ Bn, 1st MarDiv

Jan 1945 - joined the 2nd Guard Bn, Marine Barracks, Phila Navy Yard, after a nine day furlough

Apr 1945 - received an honorable discharge

Hope this helps!

Geoff

A very interesting thread. First, thanks Alec for explaining what those tags are for. I've seen them in the many years I collected USMC uniforms, but never knew why just some uniforms had them. Also interesting is this guy's service record, as has be discussed above - a PFC with two hash marks. A PFC with one hash mark is uncommon enough, let alone two. The First Div patch - I see the marrowed edge, but the backing of the patch in the picture almost looks like felt. Is that so?

Now, regarding special made uniform items - I knew a former Marine bomber pilot who saw service in the South Pacific in WWII. When his boondockers wore out, he had to have a special pair made back in the states - he wore a size 15 plus. He told me it took some months to get them. He was a really big man, and his nick-name was "Oak".

Steve