Eight Dollar Mountain Knife

hyrax222

• 3 years later...
Kansas Raider

Does anybody know where I can get a pommel for the above knuckle knife in this thread? Thanks Steve

• 1 month later...

Another nice custom maker is Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works.Straight forward working knives.They dont do knuckle knives but sure he could work one up.

riflegreen297

I have had mine for about 18 years. Great knife for the price, still razor sharp from the original "factory finish". He was very good about co-numbering the knife and sheath. I imagine there is a book somewhere with all that were made. Here is mine and a photo of me, the knife with a PUK peshmerga battalion commander in 2003.

post-4227-0-81522500-1566443542_thumb.jpg

post-4227-0-51381800-1566443552_thumb.jpg

post-4227-0-72535000-1566443561_thumb.jpg

post-4227-0-38147800-1566443569.jpg

• 1 year later...
riflegreen297

It would be great to see which ones you have. Yes, Dale was very friendly and easy to work with when ordering. I feel very privileged to have carried one of his knives into combat. 

15 minutes ago, B-Man22 said:

I meant 4 of his knives. Would someone please be so kind as to show me how to edit my post PLEASE!

You click on the 3 dots over on the right side of the post and choose Edit, make your changes, then Save at the bottom.

47 minutes ago, B-Man22 said:

Thanks appreciate your help . I tried that and the only prompt I keep getting is “Share”. 

In the past there used to be about a 15 minute time limit to edit your own post.  I don't know for sure whether that's the case now or not.

• 7 months later...

There are a pair of his knives for sale for $700 but I can't find any information as to the current value of his knives.

The serial numbers on the scabbards match the knives. Made in 2/02.

They appear to be missing the para cord wraps also.

Any advice?

s-l1600 (2).jpg

"There are a pair of his knives for sale for $700 but I can't find any information as to the current value of his knives.

The serial numbers on the scabbards match the knives. Made in 2/02.

They appear to be missing the para cord wraps also.

Any advice?"

I moved these to the  "what's it worth"  forum.

• 2 months later...

riflegreen297,

That's an interesting EDMF you have; I especially like the wording "Nous Defions" ("We Defy") on the right knuckle grip. For the non-Special Forces folks, that's a Green Beret motto usually associated with CIF units; Range 37 on Ft. Bragg; the old old school SOT and SFARTAEC, etc. I'm just wondering if you were the original owner when the knife was made? Kinda' cool you took it 'in theater from the pic you posted. I just managed to pick up two EDMF knives (Smatchet and V-42 style) and just now trying to get schooled up on the legacy of these Dale Sandberg creations.

De Oppresso Liber!

riflegreen297

Casca174,

I am the original owner that ordered the knife. When I ordered it I was in C-1-10 SFG (Assault Troop 1) 98-01. My last assignment in SF was as the SGM of Range 37.

D.O.L. 

riflegreen297 ... Bwahaha! Just a lucky guess!

BTW ... I wrapped up my last assignment with NSOCC-A/SOJTF-A as the Operations SGM just s few years ago, taking retirement down to the wire with only two months to spare before punching out of 1st Group.

That EDMF Smatchet and an EDMF version of a V-42 I got came from knife collector/author, Frank Trzaska, referenced in the video below. Neither knife has a knuckle grip but those knives prompted me investigate Dale Sandberg EDMF knives. I don't think that book you alluded to ever became a reality because I've been searching for solid info and all I find are cryptic old legacy blogs and old auction posts/pics. The best thing I've found so far for info is one YouTube video. Frank Trzaska wrote about EDMF knives in the February 2000 edition of Knife World, which I recently managed to backorder, so I'm looking forward to reading that!

Nevertheless, I was searching legacy posts and forums for pics, specifically for early "Iraqi Bellringer" knives or a "De Oppresso Liber" marked knuckle grip knife when I spotted your "Nous Defions!" Very cool! I doubt you want to get rid of your EDMF (I recommend you keep it) but if you ever consider doing so, keep me in mind!

Crazy days lately so stay safe out there, Brother!

riflegreen297

Casca174,

Hey Brother, some fantastic info.  I believe I ordered the knife in 2000 after stumbling across Dale's website. I forgot all about it and then about a year later the knife arrived in Stuttgart. At the time I was a trench knife fanatic and thought Dale's updated version was a work of art.  I carried this on my kit while living with the Russian Paratroopers on another mission prior to Iraq. The only thing they liked better than this knife was driving Humvees. That mission would be the one where the knife would see its only blood letting. After being used to dispatch dinner on the hoof, the knuckle duster was used by the hired Serbian cook to tenderize the meat.  

After that mission, I only carried it on the initial invasion of Iraq while up north with the Pesh. During the return a POS AF customs douche tried to take it from me spouting something about the knife being a violation of the Geneva Convention. Needless to say I kept the knife after we went outside and had a Man to POS conversation. I never took it on another because I didn't want to deal with another panty waist customs POG and their BS.

From the stuff I have read about Dale he was a true Patriot and I am glad that I was able to honor him by carrying his creation into combat. I believe that was his true motivation for making the knives in the first place. 

D.O.L.

Ron  

• 3 weeks later...

Ron,

Pretty cool backstory on your EDMF and comical story about the AF custom's douchbag. I can't imagine how PO you were! I had a 1/2" closed-end Craftsman wrench I had left in a carry-on bag and a TSA agent confiscated it. Heck, I was PO'd enough about that; it wasn't even a long wrench. Not too sure how many knuckleheads are intimidating people with short stubby 5" long 1/2" wrenches on flights nowadays when they could probably do more intimidation by breaking off their aluminum extension handles from their carry-on's. Pressure point device, maybe???

Anyway, no tenderizer attachments on these Eight Dollar Mountain Foundry knives but I thought you might like seeing these none the less. These are the EDMF's I got from Frank Trzaska: #928 Smatchet dated 8/99 and #1481 V-42 style dagger dated 6/02. Both are stout pieces ... of course, the smatchet by design is massive but I was surprised about the V-42; it's more robust than it looks and definitely not as fragile as an original CASE V-42. I've seen several stilettos/dagger style EDMF's from online searches but your knife blade and this V-42 style blade seem to be the only two EDMF's I've seen that share the same blade design. I'm sure there are others out there but nadda on pics so far. 

Now I'll be on the lookout for an Iraqi Bellringer and an SF marked Dale Sandberg/EDMF knife ... of course gotta have the tenderizer knucks next time!

-Drew

#928 a.jpg

#928 b.jpg

#928 c.jpg

#1481 a.jpg

#1481 b.jpg

#1481 c.jpg