USMCWR M41 Jacket

Sarge8

Picked up this jacket from a friend. It appears to be unworn. I have no experience with Marine uniforms, so looking for input from those of you who do. Very little information in "Dressed for Duty" . Doesn't appear that there were many females in the Marines during WW2, so how scarce are these? Thanks,

Frank

post-52851-0-85503000-1457005499.jpg

post-52851-0-63710800-1457005586.jpg

trinitykitty24

There were quite a few woman marines in ww2 but mostly you just find the winter wool uniforms around. This jacket is rare and is a very good find!! I'm jealous!

CombatEng44

The last one I picked up with cutter tags was about a year ago for $90. They run from that to about $200 ID'd or something special attached to it plus condition. That nice Mfg Tag helps a lot on these. There are some floating around that I think were made for Hollywood but yours is NOT one of those...yours is true blue! . The color is just off on the repros. Good find, for sure!

Steve

Thanks, Steve

I traded a TR piece worth about $200 for it. Guess now I either need to move it out, or start collecting Female Marine items! It never ends- so much stuff, so little time (or $).

Frank :)

CombatEng44

Yep! I started out with one USMCWR Jacket and now I have a house full of women's stuff! Heck, I have a house full of WOMEN! Well, the cat is a guy....or, at least, he WAS!

Good luck on your new venture.

Steve

There were less than 20,000 Women Marines in WWII: the Navy and Army each had over 100,000 women in uniform in the war.

That coat is very rare, but prices don't reflect that.

Vintage Productions has one with an ID Tag on his site for $245. another mint example with tags, that looks like the Army version for $495.00.

I paid about $200. for the minty one in my collection.

Vintage Productions has one with an ID Tag on his site for $245. another mint example with tags, that looks like the Army version for $495.00.

I paid about $200. for the minty one in my collection.

If this was a male WWII jacket of similar scarcity it'd probably sell for $800.

If this was a male WWII jacket of similar scarcity it'd probably sell for $800.

Really???

I have one with cutters tags.Ill take that offer.

Really???

I have one with cutters tags.Ill take that offer.

Was there a male pattern jacket of which they made less than 25,000-30,000?

I dont have production figures but the Mountain Field Jacket comes to mind.You see handfuls of the M42 Parachutists jackets(jump jackets) compared to the Mountain Jackets.Primarily issued only to the 10th Mountain Division.

Be intresting to see what figure of production the QM used in determining manufacturing numbers of an adopted pattern or article of issue clothing due to issue and wear out based on individual.Did they figure two per person? 4 per person?Then sizes are a consideration as I was told less than 15 percent of clothing manufactured in WW2 was size 44 or above.This puts larger sizes in less encountered numbers or numbers manufactured.

Ther were smaller units in WW2 than the Women Marines.Take the First Special Service Force.Roughly 1800 men including officers by some figures.The unit was a combined American and Canadian Force.Typically they used the same uniforms as the rest of the Army even having the A2 flight jackets seen in training photos.They were issued various patterns of the mountain parkas due to the mission they were formed for.Even the elusive first pattern zip closure refered to at times as the Hoffman pattern.This pre dates the wolf fur trimmed hooded models.Even though they were ski and mountain climbing qualified they were not issued the mountain field jackets from the veterans I spoke too.

So in a nut shell try finding an unissued and cuter tagged Mountain jacket.Plus these woman Marine jackets hit the surplus market back in the early 1980s as I recall seeing them for sale in the Shotgun Gun News.Same time the M41 P.O.W marked field jackets hit the market.One company that had them was Huron Surplus in Huron South Dakota.Another was Atlanta Surplus.Even Woodhaven Surplus advertised them for a short time in the magazine and mail order lists.Most were rather small sizes like the Navy deck/field jackets in the 41 patten cut.

Bob,

I know what you mean. It is a shame that rare women's items are not seen as collectible as rare men's items.

Sarge8,

VERY nice jacket! USMCWR items as a whole are rare. Nice find.

...Kat

General Apathy

Picked up this jacket from a friend. It appears to be unworn. I have no experience with Marine uniforms, so looking for input from those of you who do. Very little information in "Dressed for Duty" . Doesn't appear that there were many females in the Marines during WW2, so how scarce are these? Thanks,

Frank

Hi Frank, thirty years ago there was a surplus dealer in Bordeaux, France who had one of these jackets on display outside his store, a bunch of us all ran into the store to try and get one each before everyone else saw them. It wasn't until we spotted that they all fastened to the opposite side that we became disheartened and handed them back. Poor guy had several crates of them and virtually found them impossible to sell once it was realised that they weren't men's jackets.

I however did buy one, as I also collected women's uniform at that time.

lewis

Bob,

I know what you mean. It is a shame that rare women's items are not seen as collectible as rare men's items.

Sarge8,

VERY nice jacket! USMCWR items as a whole are rare. Nice find.

...Kat

Kat-

Shhhhhhhh!!!

Once people realize what a bargain women's uniforms are, given with the rarity and style, those of us that collect them will have to pay more!

:rolleyes: