Combat Infantryman Badge in Action; Photos of CIBs being worn

rd12

DePuy of the Big Red One with the direct embroidered Combat infantryman's Badge, that along with jump wings and rank. Oddly he didn't have the U.S. ARMY and name done, here he just used tapes.

On the CIB, if you look closely, you'll see a uniquely embroidered OD background under the musket, this was usually solid Black or voided.

post-34986-0-96480200-1488519594_thumb.jpg

Col. Charles L. Crain, CO of the 2nd Brigade 2nd Armored Division wearing a metal second award of the CIB on his pocket flap since his SSI is worn above the U.S. ARMY tape. From the 2nd Armored Division's 1965 unit yearbook.

post-1761-0-17803800-1488552897_thumb.jpg

Col. Charles L. Crain, CO of the 2nd Brigade 2nd Armored Division wearing a metal second award of the CIB on his pocket flap since his SSI is worn above the U.S. ARMY tape.

Why is he wearing the SSI like that? Was there some unit level regulation or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a whole thread about it here in the forums!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I've posted this elsewhere on the forum but still find it interesting. Note the upside down CIB

I wonder if he was clowning around and did that on purpose... "Hey, Mac, I'll buy you a beer if you put your CIB on upside down for the picture...!"

CHASEUSA11B

I wonder if he was clowning around and did that on purpose... "Hey, Mac, I'll buy you a beer if you put your CIB on upside down for the picture...!"

That's a possibility, or someone was screwing with him

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a screen shot from an Army video from the early 60s showing a drill sergeant candidate at Fort Dix, New Jersey. Note he is wearing the wool uniform which I have noticed seemed to be fairly common at Dix among DIs. Of special note to this topic is that he is wearing a full size metal Master Parachutist Badge but a miniature CIB which may have a star representing a second award. I can't make out whether the CIB is metal pin on or direct embroidered. It kind of looks like the latter to me but that would seem odd given that his Parachutist Badge is metal pin on.

post-1761-0-74124000-1492086924_thumb.jpg

This is a screen shot from an Army video from the early 60s showing a drill sergeant candidate at Fort Dix, New Jersey. Note he is wearing the wool uniform which I have noticed seemed to be fairly common at Dix among DIs. Of special note to this topic is that he is wearing a full size metal Master Parachutist Badge but a miniature CIB which may have a star representing a second award. I can't make out whether the CIB is metal pin on or direct embroidered. It kind of looks like the latter to me but that would seem odd given that his Parachutist Badge is metal pin on.

Is there any sequence where we can see his NAME tape Sean?

• 3 weeks later...
seanmc1114

Vietnamese Kit Carson Scout of the 1st Brigade 5th Infantry Division wearing a subdued CIB patch on his jungle fatigues. Anyone know if these were officially awarded to foreign soldiers?

post-1761-0-28086400-1493733970.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

post-34986-0-04878800-1495414704.jpg

Two Filipino GIs of the 14th BCT attached to the 45th Inf Div late 1952 into 1953 are wearing CIBs, one with what looks definitely like a second award, these two of must of earned them in WWII. As these are the only two wearing one, it seems that the CIB was not awarded to the Filipino GIs in Korea, this being because they are now members of an independent Philippine Army rather than members of the U.S. Army.

Curious as to why one wears the 2nd award then right, the one on the right, while the other one doesn't. maybe he took the liberty of wearing the second award, feeling he's entitled while his buddy didn't?

seanmc1114

Officer wearing tapes and a subdued CIB on his flack jacket on the Korean DMZ. I can't tell if the insignia is sewed on or direct embroidered, but either way I don't recall ever seeing on insignia worn on a flack jacket before.

post-1761-0-80353700-1495721498_thumb.jpg