Combat Infantryman Badge in Action; Photos of CIBs being worn

rd12

Not every day we can track down an image or info on the 3 Award CIB holders, but we have been able to get two.

post-34986-0-61378800-1459096945.jpg

The first is one Norman FJ Allen, photo 1971. Incredible though, there's not much info on him, He's wearing the Glider Qualification Badge, so that marks him as a WWII Glider Trooper, though I can't find what Division, he seems to have been in the 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div in Korea, Co I's Commander in 1950, and I think a Brigade commander, Co of 2nd Bde, 1st Inf Div in Vietnam?

Not every day we can track down an image or info on the 3 Award CIB holders, but we have been able to get two.

cib10003.jpg

The first is one Norman FJ Allen, photo 1971. Incredible though, there's not much info on him, He's wearing the Glider Qualification Badge, so that marks him as a WWII Glider Trooper, though I can't find what Division, he seems to have been in the 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div in Korea, Co I's Commander in 1950, and I think a Brigade commander, Co of 2nd Bde, 1st Inf Div in Vietnam?

I thought I may have read somewhere in another thread that glider qualifications continued into '47 along side parachute training.

I thought I may have read somewhere in another thread that glider qualifications continued into '47 along side parachute training.

That's right, but since he's an on the record WWII Combat Infantryman, chances are he was in one of the Glider Infantry Regts.

See post #4 in this topic I started, here you'll see a soldier who more then likely went through the Glider course post war.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/263405-officers-with-marksmanship-badges-on-their-dress-uniforms-1930s-early-1970s/&do=findComment&comment=2119133

This is a picture of my father wearing his CIB when he was on the 10th Corps Honor Guard in Korea. He earned his CIB with C Co 38th Infantry, 2nd Division in May 1951 when he was 18 years old.post-1738-0-32981200-1459137186.jpeg

This picture is of my dad on the right and two of his brothers. My father and his brother Jim on the left just returned home Korea. My uncle Jim is wearing a CIB 2nd award - first award was with F Co, 254th Infantry, 63rd Division and 2nd award was with F Co, 8th Cav Regt, 1st Cavalry Division. He also earned the Bronze Star w/Valor and OLC.

post-1738-0-08683500-1459137758.jpeg

Here's a photo of some GIs taking in the sights of Paris, posing for a group shot at the Arc de Triomphe. I counted about six or seven visible CIBs, and many of the guys are wearing 78th Division patches -- one guy kneeling in the center is wearing a First Army patch.

post-112103-0-26003300-1459372902.jpg

post-34986-0-85281000-1460057912.jpg

In the field with Lt John Ernser 88th Div Italy, 351st Infantry I think, not sure of date, maybe sometime in 45.

Also not sure why a map of the South/South West Pacific is on a wall behind him, just noticed that post-34986-0-24784600-1460058003.png .

firefighter

Man those are some great pictures.I remember a full bird colonel with a CMB.Not to unusual except I was in the AF and he was an AF doctor.

Yeah he's still with us Bob Hunter I believe, looked around and didn't see anything to the contrary.

So Here is a couple more of Bob Hunter, taken in last June 2015 at a Flag Day Ceremony in Suisun City Calif.

Ribbons out of order, buy hey he is of course can be forgiven, he's still Standing Tall and Looking Good.

post-34986-0-01389200-1460778363.jpgpost-34986-0-61649400-1460778384.jpg

And one more with caption from Sept 2014, Hunter at that time was 89.

post-34986-0-97559700-1460778650.jpg

Yunsuk Kim, a Vallejo Sister City board member, presents an Ambassador for Peace Medal from the Republic of Korea to Robert Hunter, 89, who is still able to wear the uniform in which he retired 40 years ago as a command sergeant major in the U.S. Army. Thirty-six area Korean War veterans were honored with certificates and medals by the Consul General of the Republic of Korea in San Francisco, the Honorable Han Dong-Man, during during a ceremony at the Vallejo Veterans Memorial Building on Sunday. Also featured in the ceremony were remarks by U.S. Rep. Mike Thompson, D-St. Helena.

Hunter BTW, was from what my secret agent found so far, was in a so far unidentified regiment of the 36th Inf Div in WWII, haven't found Korean War unit, nor what sub unit he was in in the Americal in the RVN yet. Also why he does not hold the Triple Crown, 3 awards of the CIB, we hypothesize he might of not been holding a 11 Series Infantry MOS in Vietnam, that, or he was a CSM of a Non Infantry unit,IE Support unit, within the Americal.

Just now found out that Hunter was in a so far unidentified regiment of the 3rd Inf Div in Korea, circa late summer 51 into 52.

Will post more as info becomes available of this CSM and his 30 years in.

Cobra 6 Actual

Looks like he's a member of the 1/7 of the 1st Cav and wearing a made-in-Vietnam version of the CIB, rd12! Thanks for the pics, Bob ... and, you, too, Patches!

firefighter

Here's a neat pic I pulled off of eBay. No first name, last name is Smitty. Metal CIB pinned on Jungle Jacket, dated '67.

Cool picture. I like the 7th Cav beret. I wonder if he's wearing PEACE type medallion?