Just because it's named doesn't make it so...

Ran across this beauty on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USN-Admiral-HARRY-W-HILL-Sr-Dress-Uniform-visor-cap-NAMED-WW2-WW1-photo-patch-/401080893227

The only minor issue is that Harry W. Hill, the Admiral, was promoted to LCDR in 1918 and then to CDR in 1931. He was a CAPT in 1938, and Rear Admiral in 1942. So this uniform would have to been tailored sometime between 1918 and 1931...and had to have been worn between 1931 and 1942 (for the hat). None of that would be the case with this particular uniform, as it appears to be WW2 "vintage" at the earliest with the hat dating more recently than that (not to mention the horrible ribbons on it...and command at sea badge - they didn't have those when he had command of the USS Dewey in 1934 or Wichita in 1942!)

More than likely, this uniform belonged to Henry W. Hill or Hugh W. Hill, both junior officer aviators during WW2.

I guess the seller can always dream...but it doesn't make it "real"!

3-2-2016 10-39-46 AM.jpg

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

ha..

yeah it pays to know a bit about the uniforms themselves in this case. I don't think the jacket is even as old as WW2, personally!

The cap certainly not as the Bancroft "50 year" anniversary mark is from much, much later than ww2.

you're right.. it's all hopes and dreams of the seller with no proof. I like the whistle though, it's a nice touch... I'm sure something he would have worn. ;)

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

CNY Militaria

Well, in this case we have PROOF that it's all put together. Outside of the obvious already mentioned, and the fake name card in the cap (someone keeps churning these out on their PC by the way, lots of them keep hitting the market in the last year), I sold this exact jacket, alone, with wings, about a year or so ago. See pics below. Someone cut off the wings and added the rest. I sent the seller a message detailing all of this. Now we will see what kind of seller he is.

Justin

DSCN1602.JPG

Whoa! I at least gave the guy some credit for being creative and hoping that something was real. It looks like the seller or whoever originally bought the jacket from Justin is an all out shyster!

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

As a sidenote, I know the admiral's granddaughters, as they helped me with my book since the Admiral received a fairly high order from the Soviets. I was going to send them a link to the auction when I saw just the title. However, when I actually opened the auction I just shook my head!

Please out this "gentleman" if, after your due diligence determine his intent to defraud.

"The tree of Liberty must be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots"

Please out this "gentleman" if, after your due diligence determine his intent to defraud.

Amen, please save the next unwitting collector from this sort of thing.

I agree.. there really is no excuse for this.

This isn't adding things for display etc... this is all out making it something it's not.

GOT SEABEE ITEMS? PM ME!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Dave, that was some outstanding detective work on your part! Very nice.

Really sad the seller screwed up a nice named Naval aviators coat.

Seeking anything attributed to General Clifford Bluemel

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

My thought as well, he ruined an actual named aviator's coat. Not one of the thousands of un-named ones you see everyday on ebay, but an identified vet's uniform just so he could try and screw over someone. Despicable.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

X2, thanks Dave your detective work is much appreciated.

aurelius180

I explained in detail back and forth with the seller about this and thought he understood what this was. I guess he is allowing it to sell to the bidder. And it sold for $1,500 with the BIN.

That's really too bad for the buyer. It never hurts to do a quick Google search before pulling the trigger on an item.

I thought it said sold at $1,500 but when I clicked through in the app I must have misread the $900.

Ed

donation2015.gif