B-17 photo with amazing story

renfield

On any given day there are about 12,000 W.W.2 pictures for sale on Ebay.. When I saw this one I was not very impressed. There was no nose art or anything flashy about it. It went unsold and then turned up in the buy it now section. I bought it, received it and put it aside. One day I got it out and took a good look at it. The names and home towns of the men were listed on the reverse of the picture. Most were faded out, soiled or just in bad condition.

I was able to read "Haute, Indiana" that could only be Terre Haute my home town and the town I work in. Then I was able to make out a last name "Randolph". The only family with that name I know of is the family that started the business I work at. The family has run the shop for 96 years, I have worked there for 26 years.

I asked my boss, Jim, if he had any uncles that served in W.W.2. He said he had one "in tanks and one in planes". When I showed him this 70 year old picture he pointed out his uncle "Randy" Randolph". He is kneeling 4th from the left. I made a copy for his mother, Randy's sister, and she was thrilled.

NOW what are the odds that 70 years later this photo would end up in the hands of a person who worked for the mans family? There was no research needed, anyone in the world could have bought this picture, but it came to me and the family.

As I was talking to Jim I further learned that I had met Randy over 20 years ago when they had a family reunion. It is just a strange sequence of events that the picture came full circle to his surviving family.

post-5349-0-97263300-1456872019.jpg

Wow! Makes you wonder then about some of the other items we might all have and connections to them! Thanks for sharing.

phantomfixer

yep great story...some things are meant to be...doesn't matter how hard we look...sometimes...it is just meant to be...great story thanks for sharing...

I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago. Found a group of photographs, envelope, and a postcard all with the last name of a guy I know at work. Asked him if his grandfather was in WW2 and was named Alex, to which he answered yes. Brought the stuff in and he was elated. The grandfather had died when my friend was just a little kid and he did not have much ,if any, background as to his military service in the war. Sold the lot to him for what I paid. Always glad to help folks find their family past.

• 2 weeks later...

Great find.

Have you researched the unit and its service? The dates in the upper LH corner says they went to Italy---15 Air Force.

BTW, here is a webpage that shows the organization of the 15 Air Force. What I like about it is it shows the tail markings for each squadron and you can see which ones flew the B-17 and the B-24.

http://www.airpower.at/news03/0813_luftkrieg_ostmark/15USAF.htm