Photos of 6 color DBDU "chocolate chips" worn in Somalia, 1993

MattS

I believe that Somalia was the last major operation where 'chocolate chips' were issued. I have here some photos of a friend who was attached to B Company, 2-25th Aviation, or as he says, "attached to 2-25th AV BN under 10th Aviation BDE, 10th MT DIV serving in Mogadishu, Somalia. Quick Reactionary Force (QRF)". Notice the 'black on green' qualification badges, but with 'spice on tan' tapes. A full color flag was worn on the right shoulder.

post-32676-0-22274200-1456864960.jpg

post-32676-0-46897700-1456864968.jpg

post-32676-0-42179900-1456864986.jpg

I think the DBDU "Chocolate chips" were still in the supply inventory for a while and some were issued out when the 3 color 'coffee stains' weren't available. Some units got higher priority and got the 3 colors and units with lower priority had to make do with the 6 colors.

I was issued a set of 6 colors in 1992 from the CIF at Bragg for a couple of JTF-6 operations in the SW US. Our mission was so low priority that we didn't rate the newer 3 colors so we got the "leftover" 6 color. What's funny is they were so anxious to get rid of the 6 color DBDUs that we were issued 2 complete sets to include the night DBDU, and we didn't have to turn them in. They're actually still in my foot locker in the garage.

When I was in Afghanistan in 2003 there was a Navy SEAL warrant officer who worked in the CJSOTF-A who wore a set of 6 colors too. His were all tailored up with sewn on badges, pressed, etc.

The funny thing is, I think at least up where I was at Bagram AF, near Kabul, the 6 color pattern actually worked better as camouflage than the lighter 3 color pattern the rest of us were wearing. Funny how the Army always seems to have exactly the wrong camouflage for the terrain they're in! You'd think they'd wise up and just go back to OD green for everything.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

post-153751-0-03157800-1457292815.jpg

Alpha Company 1st Battalion 87th Infantry Regiment

SFOD-D are also in this picture, with 3 color desert.

Not the highest quality photos to start with but ... training in Israel as part of USMC MEU(SOC) LF6F deployment 1988. I still have the boonie cover. Not sure about the trousers and blouse.

post-150797-0-76567500-1457301543.jpg

post-150797-0-89541500-1457301554.jpg

post-150797-0-11653200-1457301565.jpg

Could it be the picture is just reversed?

No, look at the M-16 he's holding. That's clearly the left side of the rifle, that's the back side of the magazine release you can see.

The whole flag-on-the-right sleeve wasn't a standardized thing until the mid- to late-90's. Before that patches could be on either sleeve. It wasn't an AR-670-1 modification, it was a (for example the members of the 4/325 and SETAF in Italy often wore a small US flag on the left sleeve under their SETAF patch)

We wore the American flag on our left sleeve (BDUs) in Liberia (Aug 90). I have some pics somewhere I'll try to dig out. I agree that I don't think there was a reg at that time it just made sense since no one wanted to wear the flag "backwards".

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Bravo Company 3rd Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment Task Force Ranger

The Soldier looking at the camera is Private Marc Good.