120th Observation 45th Division, Aviation 1938

Steindaddie

Got this a few years ago in a dusty old frame. 120th Observation Squadron, Colorado National Guard, Lowry Field. According to writing on the back, it belonged to a Captain Gregory. No date, but with the Thomas-Morse O-19 along with a shiny new Douglas O-47, I'm saying 1938, the year the unit transitioned to the newer aircraft. Closer inspection reveals the usual assortment of 1930's flying gear and that they wear the old style swastika patches of the 45th Division as well as the patch of the 120th, on their A-2 jackets. For patch hounds, one soldier wears a circular 45th patch.

I had to split scan the photo and I am attaching it in sections to meet the size criteria - mating the two sides made for a very low res photo. The actual photo is huge and has great quality, as befits an observation squadron - it didn't scan worth a darn though !

post-1949-1220220578.jpg

....one soldier wears a circular 45th patch....

Thanks for posting another classy selection from your excellent photo collection, steindaddie. This is a great picture but, even with your prompting, I don't see the circular 45th Division SSI. Can you enlarge that spot and post it here?

Thanks, steindaddie! I did see the swastika on the staff sergeant but could not discern the shape of the patch without the enlargement. Glad you have sharp eyes.

The 45th Division thread in the Forum reference section does not show this circular patch (link here). You might post your enlargement there to illustrate this unusual variation being worn in-period.

The 45th Division thread in the Forum reference section does not show this circular patch (link here). You might post your enlargement there to illustrate this unusual variation being worn in-period.

Wilco on that !

Thanks, steindaddie! I did see the swastika on the staff sergeant but could not discern the shape of the patch without the enlargement. Glad you have sharp eyes.

Aloha Steindaddie,

That is a really interesting group photo of the observation sq. It's also unique that an earlier 45th Division SSI had been field modified by the Sgt. I'm going to take a stab at this; I thinnk the Sgt's attempted to mirror the likeness of the original orange and blue USAAC pinwheel design. It's crude but the swastika does kind of resembles a prop in motion. Are any of the other airman wearing the same modified 45th Division patch?

Mahalo,

John

• 7 months later...
...one soldier wears a circular 45th patch...

A picture of the circular 45th Infantry SSI found in Trading Post (Steve and Dave Johnson: "Rag Clippings," p. 25, October-December, 1999). Attributed to a member of Co. I, 157th Infantry, who wore the round patch in the 1920s (Co. I was located in Burlington, Colorado).

Cobrahistorian

Incredible photo! I'm in the process of designing our temporary exhibits for the next year and will be focusing on National Guard Observation and Photo Recon squadrons pre and during WWII. Outstanding photo!

Jon

...A picture of the circular 45th Infantry SSI found in Trading Post (Steve and Dave Johnson: "Rag Clippings," p. 25, October-December, 1999). Attributed to a member of Co. I, 157th Infantry, who wore the round patch in the 1920s (Co. I was located in Burlington, Colorado)....

And the actual patch:

post-1963-1240443458.jpg

(From the Patch Johnson collection; used with permission)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The Oklahoma National Guard published a book not unlike a college yearbook (I always referred to it as the ONG Yearbook) circa 1930 (I want to say 1928, but that's a guess - my copy is long gone). In it were photos of troopers sporting a number of interesting variants of the swastika patch, including a circular one.