339th Infantry North Russia Uniform

waltusma

I came across this uniform on eBay a few weeks ago while looking for a basic WWI jacket to go with my small helmet display. I came across it listed as a "WWII uniform" under vintage men's clothing and got it for a great deal. It also came with a set of matching pants and some button-down leggings that do not look military, but more like an early 1900's civilian style. In the corner of the listing photo I caught a glimpse of the NR patch and had no idea what it was, but dropped a low bid since it looked complete and had collar insignia. I initially thought that it was the 339th MG BN, but as I researched it a bit more learned that it is from the Machine Gun Company of the 339th Infantry Reg for their North Russia mission. Most of the other patches that I've been able to find are of the polar bear and very few examples of the "NR" variation. Does anyone know how common these patches are or if they were added before, during, or after the deployment? Thanks for looking.

Walt

post-11652-0-90036800-1456809606.jpg

Time has not been to kind to the uniform and the patch displays some damage, but still looks rather nice.

post-11652-0-43698400-1456809764.jpg

There is a name on the inside, but cross checking with the rosters that I found online has not produced a match. There was a Bowman that was with the 339th who died of wounds, but the first initial is different. Any help is appreciated.

post-11652-0-16333400-1456809839.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Terrific pick up! Been looking for a 339th uniform for a long time! As a rule the patches were not worn during deployment, the vast majority of patches were applied when the were on the ships either back to France or the US. The "NR" version would be a 1st style prior to the polar bear. Not as common to see.

As far the name you may want to try contacting the Polar Bear museum in Michigan and see if they have any more info. on "P. Bowman", I see no match for him in the roster I see of the 339th MG CO.

And lastly if you ever want to sell, please keep me in mind! :D

Best,

Bill K.

Great looking uniform and congrats on finding a hidden trasure.Real bonus with the matching disc and you dont find WW1 uniforms that often with a name inked in them.

Terrific pick up! Been looking for a 339th uniform for a long time! As a rule the patches were not worn during deployment, the vast majority of patches were applied when the were on the ships either back to France or the US. The "NR" version would be a 1st style prior to the polar bear. Not as common to see.

As far the name you may want to try contacting the Polar Bear museum in Michigan and see if they have any more info. on "P. Bowman", I see no match for him in the roster I see of the 339th MG CO.

And lastly if you ever want to sell, please keep me in mind! :D

Best,

Bill K.

Oh, I see now - my last post was supposed to have the ;) icon as my statement was supposed to be sarcastic - everyone always says "If you want to sell please keep me in mind" yeah right - I hope you sell on ebay for $1,000,000 :lol:

Again, great jacket thanks for posting - Love to know more about the original soldier if you ever find any more info. please post!

Very best,

Bill K.