Uniforms to a 1st MarDiv Guadalcanal Vet Wounded on Peleliu

CHASEUSA11B

CHASEUSA11B

Hello everyone,

I would like to share my recent trade acquisition and new favorite grouping. The Uniforms belonged to a Marine Cpl who enlisted in 1940, fought on Guadalcanal, and was wounded on Peleliu with the 3rd Battalion 1st Marines.

Grouping consists of his service coat, dress blues, dress cover with blue cover, and his file.

I'm debating on whether or not to restore the ribbon rack or not but I need to track down a Purple Heart ribbon.

Thanks for looking.

post-6201-0-20053500-1456792139.jpeg

josegarcia8578

You know, out of all the WW2 Uniforms, I found the USMC Dress Blues the most elegant. Very nice group.

CHASEUSA11B

Just.....wow.....what Company in 3/1?

If I'm reading this right it shows he was a .30 cal Machine Gun NCO with Co "I" 3rd Bn 1st Marines

post-6201-0-41373100-1456794390.jpeg

Love it Chase very nice group.If you haven't already read the book " Last Man Standing" about the 1st regiment on Peleliu you should. They really took a pounding on that island.

Mark

Very nice set. Your question is whether or not to "restore" the ribbon rack, presumably to include the Purple Heart ribbon this Marine rated. Is this set recently from the vet's family, or the vet himself? If so, you might want to assume he never wore the PH ribbon on this set of uniforms. If that's the case, you are not "restoring," but "adding to." Not the same thing. If the vet ever had a PH ribbon, he may have only worn it on a khaki shirt, given the time of year he wore the shirt. Summer vs. winter. It may be that the shirt with ribbons may be lost to the ages. Personally, I wouldn't add it to the Greens (or Blues) unless I had proof he actually wore the ribbon on that (those) uniforms. Just keep a notation with the set that he rated the PH ribbon.l

CHASEUSA11B

Very nice set. Your question is whether or not to "restore" the ribbon rack, presumably to include the Purple Heart ribbon this Marine rated. Is this set recently from the vet's family, or the vet himself? If so, you might want to assume he never wore the PH ribbon on this set of uniforms. If that's the case, you are not "restoring," but "adding to." Not the same thing. If the vet ever had a PH ribbon, he may have only worn it on a khaki shirt, given the time of year he wore the shirt. Summer vs. winter. It may be that the shirt with ribbons may be lost to the ages. Personally, I wouldn't add it to the Greens (or Blues) unless I had proof he actually wore the ribbon on that (those) uniforms. Just keep a notation with the set that he rated the PH ribbon.l

CHASEUSA11B

Very good insight. I actually don't want to mess with the greens as they have the ribbons already and I don't want to mess with them or ever remove anything.

Now that I look at it the blues haven't been updated to cpl rank so it wouldn't be appropriate to add his discharge rack.

I believe it is likely that this Marine did wear his PH at some point.

There are several letters in his file requesting proof and documentation of the award and it seems like it was important to him.

Speculation I know but that's what my guy says.

Maybe I'll make a display shadow box with all of his entitled awards instead.

Add the Purple Heart ribbon if you find a period one. The man obviously earned, so it wouldonly make sense to include it on your display. If you want the correct awards displayed on the Marine's uniform, your gonna have to add some stars to his existing ribbons anyway. Just a thought.

ViewfinderGyrene

AHC has a program on fighting on Peleliu right now.

Did they finally do an Against the Odds on Bloody Nose Ridge???

I'm curious as to whether there is anything in his records indicating he was entitled to the American Campaign Ribbon as worn on the uniform or whether you think that was erroneously worn instead of the American Defense Campaign Ribbon his records indicate he was entitled to.

Corpsman_1941

Great find! You should deffinitely restore his ribbon rack. 3/1 was the only unit against which Japanese used tanks on Guadalcanal during the battle of Matanikau river on October 23rd 1942.

CHASEUSA11B

thats awesome corpsman, thanks for the info.

Sand flea, in case you can't see in the earlier pic there are three holes where stats should be on the Pacific campaign ribbon.

Thanks for the comments guys.

post-6201-0-41901500-1456861507.jpeg

post-6201-0-58599800-1456861226.jpeg

CHASEUSA11B

I'm curious as to whether there is anything in his records indicating he was entitled to the American Campaign Ribbon as worn on the uniform or whether you think that was erroneously worn instead of the American Defense Campaign Ribbon his records indicate he was entitled to.

post-6201-0-58599800-1456861226.jpeg

There is documentation of the American Campaign ribbon, his file is quite thick and I didn't want to post too much paperwork on here.