New M1 Garand

srossio

Hey everyone...this is a bit out of my comfort zone so I thought I would write this post to get some expert opinions.

I just purchased a M-1 Garand from a friend who is helping to liquidate a collection of military weapons.
The price was 750.00.
He is an excellent gun smith and has inspected the rifle for "shoot-ability" and has informed me that the barrel, parts, etc. is in good condition (i.e. not shot out).
It is a Springfield and the serial number places it in early 1941 (April May if my memory serves me - I don't have my notes in front of me at the moment). The bolt date is in the same early 1941 range `as is the barrel, trigger, safety, etc. All of the serial numbers I have checked so far match that early 41 serial number range.

Now for the wonky part. The butt stock has been replaced. The person who originally owned this rifled, for whatever reason, replaced it with a foreign made stock and then had the Springfield cartouches added. It looks nice (except for the color difference) and I would like to eventually replace it with an original butt stock.

My question(s) are: did I over-pay and
how much does this foreign stock affect the collectible value, etc. (in other-words should I worry about replacing it any time soon).

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. I will be taking some pics here soon and will post them tonight.

totoroblochon

Hey man, photo's are better for identification of this amazing pieces. in my country a M1 garand full ww2 its 1000 Euros in my country (1088 dollars) well give us photos and we will help you ;) but if its a ww2 the price is good.

Nico'

There is only one serial number on the Garand and that is on the recever. The rest are drawing numbers. Just becuase they are all SA does not make them correct for the serial range. If all the parts are correct you bought it way uder value. The rear flush nut sight alone is in the $600 range.

A correct SA/GHS stock will set you back $550-$600

Post pics or a list of the drawing numbers and I can tell you what is correct or you can PM me.

Thanks for the info so far everyone. First off, I reread my initial post and it kinda sounds like I am only interested in money/value. M-1's are not my collecting forte and I tend to obsess after a purchase (my wife always refers to it as my buyers remorse handicap) that I have somehow made a huge mistake (even though I have done enough research on the topic to be dangerous). You all were the logical choice to assist. Thanks for the heads up Orlando. I believe that I have been interpreting the drawing numbers correctly but I will post some along with pics later this evening. I know the rear sight is a lock-bar type but did not look closely enough to see what kind. I will do that when I get home.

Thanks again everyone, you have validated some of my thoughts and alleviated some of my fears.

I am looking forward to seeing pics, I love the early Garands. Lock bar sights would not be correct for a original 1941 Garand. Dont worry you did not overspend

I have a all correct Dec 1941 Springfield I can send you pics of if you are interested

Op Rod
I should mention that in the previous post that the sight is the lock-bar type. I forgot to take a pic of the other side.

post-300-0-89756400-1456802171.jpg

Overall view of the rifle.

The gun sock contains a M1917 Remington that I purchased last week (boy am I in Dutch with the wife!)

post-300-0-91580700-1456802337.jpg

I appreciate any comments and suggestions as to leaving it alone or restoring it to the 1941 configuration.
I should add that the trigger number is D 28290-2 SA.

Thanks everyone.

I should add that I was also given an original leather sling.

ClaptonIsGod

I have a November/December 1941 M1 which I bought recently, and it went through a DCM rebuild sometime in the early 1960s (not fully sure the extent of the rebuild yet, but I know at least the barrel is later). I bought it with the intent of owning a WWII M1 that I could put rounds through without regret, but also have as a prized part of my collection. This is my first purchase in the world of things that go bang, so by all means take my opinion with numerous grains of salt. In my opinion, to answer your question I think you have to consider whether you want an M1 you can take to the range, or if you'd prefer a correct one you might be more hesitant to have fun with. If the only thing you need to do to achieve originality is replace the stock, then I would say just do that eventually when you're able.

Rifle has been refinished so its not a good canidate for restoration, not to mention it would cost you double what you paid for the rifle to restore it. How about the rest of the rifle? Does it have ascrew seal over the front sight screw? Single slot gas screw? Narrow base gas cylinder? What follower rod? and follower?

You did great on price regardless of replaced stock, refinished, etc, as $750 is very good. Nice buy!

Beat up shooters tend to START at $850 in my neck of the woods, and yours looks pretty darn nice.

You just spent $750 on the gun. Now spend an additional $25 bucks or so and get a decent book so you can decipher every part on it.

Thanks for the comments guys.

As stated earlier I have this very bad habit of second guessing what I purchase and it is nice to get feed back be it positive or negative.
I agree MWalsh on the whole book thing. The stupid part is normally I am a consummate researcher in regards to military items and yet here I go and do this semi-off the cuff. The funny thing is that I am actually receiving a M-1 rifle book from the same guy I got the rifle from. Unfortunately, in this case, the cart came before the proverbial horse.

With all of the information I have learned from the forum, you all, etc. I have decided to just sit on it for the moment and not do anything as far as replacing the stock or parts. You know, give it time to sink and enjoy it.
I will probably replace a few things (stock included) down the road as I find it.

Thanks everyone,
Steve

Don't beat yourself up Steve !!! $750 is a very good buy! the op rod and barrel are non easy find for these early dated Garands and sell for real good money.

I paid $1400 for a beautiful all correct December 1942 SA Garand from Scott Duff back in 2002

Don't beat yourself up Steve !!! $750 is a very good buy! the op rod and barrel are non easy find for these early dated Garands and sell for real good money.

I paid $1400 for a beautiful all correct December 1942 SA Garand from Scott Duff back in 2002

What he said! Good buy!

When you find them for $750 like yours, arguably you buy the gun on the spot and THEN worry about buying the book later :)