Marine Corps Dress Uniform White Belt

maxx

I have a white cotton? belt about 2 1/8" wide with the curved keepers, and it has dirt on it from improper storage. It has the removable EGA so I want to keep it. I doubt if I will shine the brass, but I am thinking about cleaning the belt itself.

Should I run it through the washing machine on gentle with a mild detergent and a little bleach?

Hand wash it?

Or just leave it?

I cant snap and post a picture if you would like to see it.

jeremiahcable

Soak it in a large bowl of warm water and mild detergent and use a very soft bristle brush to go lightly with the weave of the cloth to clean it. Rinse well and let air dry. Anything else will most likely fray the belt or make it glow under UV light. If it is a newer belt that may not be a concern though.

jeremiahcable
Why would that be of concern?

I thought ALL white stuff glows under UV light?

It does to an extent. Some white items can be parts of groupings and considered worth more in an "unmessed with" condition. Sometimes it's best to leave a bit of age toning.

A diluted solution of bleach and water have worked well for me on some items.Let soak for several minutes rinse and air dry.Worked wonders on some white USMC covers I have.

If all else fails ask a local dry cleaner for suggestions.

RON

It does to an extent. Some white items can be parts of groupings and considered worth more in an "unmessed with" condition. Sometimes it's best to leave a bit of age toning.

That would have been what came to mind first, for me too.

• 6 months later...

I buy a lot of dress blues from guys just getting out of the corps and when there is a belt it's almost always dirty. I wonder what Marines use, or do they just go to the PX and buy a new one when the old one gets dirty?

• 1 month later...

DO NOT use this method, but when I was on active duty at a Barracks post we used HOT water and bleach. DO NOT use that method on the items in your collection. The hot water and bleach got the belts, guard belts, covers, magazine pouches and gloves inspection passing white, but it destroyed them. The hot water and high heat of a dryer made the white covers for the frame caps drum tight. Too much bleach and after a while you could rip a white pistol belt apart with your hands. Passing inspection and looking perfect on post was more important than destroying gear.

• 1 month later...
I buy a lot of dress blues from guys just getting out of the corps and when there is a belt it's almost always dirty. I wonder what Marines use, or do they just go to the PX and buy a new one when the old one gets dirty?

When I was still in the Corps in the mid-late 60s we used toothpaste and the little hand/fingernail brush that was issued to me. We used it on our khaki trouser belts as well. It made them look lighter and more "salty." I wouldn't use it all the time on a vintage belt because it can be hard on the webbing but once to get it clean, with a thorough rinse after, probably wouldn't hurt.

Also, I have a couple belts that are pre-WW-II vintage and they appear to have been coated with white shoe polish. It makes them brilliant white but also makes them a bit stiff. You have to be careful, though. One of my 1930s dated dress blue blouse had the belt treated this way and it left a hint of a shadow of white around the belt line.

As a cadet at that bastion of knowledge (and formerly of tradition, as well), The Citadel, we wore those damn belts all the time; drill, guard, restrictions, parades, etc. We were issued a big ole roll of that webbing becuase we invariably got 'em dirty ALOT -especially when you are marching punishment tours (I was in the Century Club. Twice! -that's 200 hours of marching with my M-14). Anyway, my point is, you can wash it with bleach, or you can call The Citadel Cadet Store and tell them you want a roll of the white webbing. I have one or two extra rolls somewhere, but I haven't the slightest idea where my trunk is. I'm pretty sure the webbing is the same size as the Marines use. Can't recall how much a roll would cost, but it won't break the bank.

Good luck,

G

PS, if you do bleach it in the wash, masking tape the edges or they will terribly fray.