White Bed/Cot Straps For Paratroopers

bryson152

When the 82nd and 101st were leaving their marshalling areas prior to Normandy, most had not been issued with the commonly described " Airborne Leg Straps". This type of strap also tended to work lose.

The paratroopers found a much better option attached to their beds/cots, in the form of two white straps. They are seen in many Normandy photos.

These white straps have now all, but dissappeared. They are a vital part for a Normandy mannequin display. All you now see on ebay and at fairs are beds/cots, with the straps removed.

I was in the DMC Museum in Normandy last week. Last summer, they had a box full of them and last week they only had 3 (I bought two of them).

If you find a bed/cot with the white straps on buy it at once!!!

Cheers

Allan

post-208-1170970763.jpg

Below is an image of a folding bed/cot strap. You can see the teeth in the buckle, which would hold the strap firmly on the leg. The small hole in the strap, is where the stud was removed, which held the strap onto the bed/cot.

Cheers

Allan

post-208-1171006650.jpg

post-208-1171006894.jpg

well that is interesting, there are cots almost in any direction that you could throw a rock at where I live.Is there a market for these things?

If they are the early cots with the white straps, then buy a few and sell them on ebay.

Cheers

Allan

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

It looks like the German black chinstraps. Do you know if some Paratroopers used those German straps in Normandy ?

Aury

• 2 months later...

This is my first post and its a question about the straps I found at my local surplus store. I think the cot may had been foriegn? But it was white with these white straps. Their not exactly the same as the ones in your pictures. The buckle is black and it has a clip that goes around the buckle and then the rivet through the webbing. So what do you thinks I have here??? I know its close, but do I get a cigar?? Any help will been thankful, ED

post-54063-1316127811.jpg