What is this badge or medal?

752ndTank

I found this photo of a tanker who was in the Army a good 6 months before Pearl Harbor. I know that the badge on the right of the photo is a marksman badge with qualification bars. Can anyone tell me what the medal or badge on the left is? I believe this photo was taken before the war began, based on the AGF shoulder insignia and lack of ribbons. Thanks!

post-26197-0-04376000-1456542535.jpg

Was he a Marine at some point in his service?

He possibly could have been in for a long time. Early Army shooting badges looked very similar to USMC badges.

Not "armored infantry," Infantry-Tank. Worn by tankers before Armored Force insignia adopted in 1942. May have been worn in error or tolerated for armored infantry personnel, but that is not its original or official purpose. Was supposed to be obsolete in 1930's, but wear continued nonetheless.

Yes indeed, that badge that looks like the current Marine badge is the obsolete badge for Army Sharpshooter, while the marines wore badges the Army would soon adopt. Some guys would simply wear their old stuff way after it was superseded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsolete_badges_of_the_United_States_military

firefighter

The one on the right looks like the Marksman badge. If it had a bulls eye it would be Sharpshooter & wreath Expert.