Unknown Jacket: First Pattern Makinaw

rldarmstr

I wasn't sure where to post this so if this isn't the correct place I apologize , up front.

I have this jacket. It looks military to me. False double breast, wool OD liner and collar, and a belted waist. The buttons, some are broken also look like WWII vintage to me.

I find no markings or labels on it.

Anyone have any ideas?

post-3856-0-06937900-1456531614.jpg

No size tag. In fact no tags at all. I tried it on and it was ok everywhere except sleeve length. Sleeves were a couple inches short. I wear a 38/40 jacket depending on the cut. I'd guess that it is about a man's size 36. Maybe 38 if you have short arms?

If I could find a couple correct buttons I'd like to replace the broken ones but so far those types seem to be scarce.

There is one partial tag between the inner wool lining and the outer shell. It reads Phila Quartermaster Depot.. Inspected by.........?????????

No size indicated.

There are further stencils, very faded, M1938 on the insides of both pockets and on the back sides of the pockets between the lining and the outer shell.

I find nothing else anywhere.

Those are a little tough to find with the waist belt still there; nice one! Is it made of duck canvas or a lighter poplin or sateen?

There are a few variants of these. Below are a couple of early duck examples made in 2 different shades.

post-3226-0-10751500-1456769772.jpeg