WW2 22nd Marine Signed Japanese Meatball Flag

trenchbuff

My sister-in-law saved a couple of flags and a son-in-service banner from the trash while cleaning a house for a friend. They were war trophy's brought home by Pvt. Vernon Loendorf who served with HQ Company, 22nd Marine Regiment, 6th Division. He was wounded in action on Sugar Loaf Hill during the battle for Okinawa.

post-944-0-22723700-1456525037.jpg

His captured meatball flag was signed by several fellow HQ Co., 22nd Regiment Marines. I'm still researching the names but one of them, a Marine from Cullman, AL, was WIA 13 Apr. 45. He died in 1949 at the age of 24 years. I wasn't able to discover the cause of death. This flag was most likely captured on Okinawa.

post-944-0-97075400-1456525526.jpg

post-944-0-72125000-1456525535.jpg

This was the second flag. Obviously a little different than the standard Japanese Meatball flag. Pretty sure this one was manufactured courtesy of a Marine or possibly a Navy Seabee looking to market it as a genuine souvenir. It's made of a piece of crudely cut silk, probably from a parachute, and looks like the meatball was painted on using iodine or mercurochrome. Although the writing looks pretty good, I'll bet it was copied off old Japanese rice bags or other, similar sources. Always wanted to find one of these and this one is particularly interesting to me since it came from a Marine. I'd love to know the story behind it, but probably never will.

post-944-0-68857200-1456526298.jpg

post-944-0-41852500-1456526306.jpg

For the second flag,vet he writing looks like that of a Japanese person. Possibly had a local okinawan make it pretty for him or possibly during the occupation of Japan if he was there?

Jennings Lane

As for the second flag, I would doubt that very many GIs would be able to duplicate that much Japanese script. I've always heard that some industrious sailors did duplicate some of these flags to sell as souvenirs. However, crudely made doesn't necessarily mean fake when it comes to Japanese war relics.

I'm always amazed that items like these end up in the trash. I'm glad you were able to save them and share this Marine's story.

Mike

Thanks very much, everyone, for the comments and input on the second flag. The writing does look like it was done by someone very familiar with the language. When I find someone who can translate it then it should be a little easier to determine if it's Japanese or GI made. It's definitely crude and handmade compared to all the other flags I've owned.

strawberry 9

As for the second flag, I would doubt that very many GIs would be able to duplicate that much Japanese script. I've always heard that some industrious sailors did duplicate some of these flags to sell as souvenirs. However, crudely made doesn't necessarily mean fake when it comes to Japanese war relics.

I don't know. I bet they got pretty good at it. ?

post-100432-0-93255600-1457368914.jpeg

I don't know. I bet they got pretty good at it. ?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

:rolleyes: I believe you are right. Just can't imagine any self-respecting Japanese soldier using mercurochrome to make their flag.

Wharfmaster

I would not write off the second flag too quickly. Japanese Garrisons were cut off from many if not most supplies. They used what they had.

More research required in my opinion.

Wharf

• 3 weeks later...