1st Army WW1 Patches?

nbolinger

Patch History

Both First Army patches you have are actually for Coast Artillery units in the First Army Area during the inter-war period. Coast Artillery units differentiated themselves from Field Artillery by putting the red panel below the crossbar of the "A".

Bob is correct that the woven patch is a Liberty Loan type patch but it was made after WWI ended by the same company and was not actually used to raise money during the Liberty Loan fund raising drives. It is smaller than the First Army Artillery patches made during WWI for the Liberty Loan boards. That company made a few patches that were post-war (44th Div is another), as well as ribbons to be worn by civilians to welcome the troops home .

There will be an article in the upcoming issue of The Trading Post (Apr-Jun 2016) that gives the story in a little more detail.

Thanks PH

There are so many variations of WWI and Inter war period First Army patches , you could write a book!!

And great to find out a bit more than just being a First Army WWI patch , can't wait for the A-J 2016 Trading Post.

Phill

• 3 years later...
kiaiokalewa

Thanks PH

There are so many variations of WWI and Inter war period First Army patches , you could write a book!!

And great to find out a bit more than just being a First Army WWI patch , can't wait for the A-J 2016 Trading Post.

Phill

Aloha,

For those that are ASMIC members, you guys are in for a treat. I wrote a four page article in my "Interwar Jives" column about this Shoulder Insignia that is scheduled for publication in upcoming Trading Post Jun-Aug 2019 issue. ANOTHER "A" PATCH REVEALED is the title I gave it and it's well illustrated.

A Hui Hou,

John