WAVE brimmed cap tally... Same as Donald Duck cap?

BROBS

The "Cap Ribbons" of the male "Service Dress Blue Cap" wrapped around the cap and was trimmed to fit UNDER the bow on the left side of the cap. This is how it was done with all USN "Flat Hats" from 1833 on. Not sure if WAVE hats had a bow on the side or not.

Hopefully, someone with one of the caps can post pictures with details.

I assume you are talking about the enlisted caps. The officer's caps did not have the tally.

From the pictures that I have found, it appears to button on the sides. The top cover was interchangeable for the different uniforms. It would button onto the cap. I looked close at some of the pictures in my books. It appears that the tally would also button in place on the sides.

I found this grouping on the forum that shows the enlisted cap.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14423-my-grandmothers-waves-grouping/?hl=%2Bwave+%2Bcap&do=findComment&comment=94826

Also, the Blitzkrieg website is a good source for information. It shows the different covers for the cap. It also shows the officer's cap.

http://www.blitzkriegbaby.de/homepage.htm

...Kat

Ok I should have posted a picture. It's the one shown in the poster in post 3 in the first link provided. It's brimmed as well but turned up on the sides, no buttons.

I'm off work at 3:30 I'll post some pics then.

Thanks!

-Brian

yes I think it's like that one.. but I swear the tag is different and has an earlier contract no?

maybe it doesn't, but the tag is certainly different.. I will post a pic when I get home.

-Brian

Brian,

Photos would certainly help. Your cap sounds like an earlier example than the one in the link if the label is different. Perhaps only earlier by a few years, but the label makes a lot of difference.

yes I think it's like that one.. but I swear the tag is different and has an earlier contract no?

maybe it doesn't, but the tag is certainly different.. I will post a pic when I get home.

-Brian

Are you sure you do not have an officers hat? The one you are saying yours looks like is post war which was the WW2 officers hat put out to everyone

The tag does look the same as the other thread I added in post #7. In the other thread, Bob said this contract number with a prefix of N dates to the 50's. Do you have a picture of the overall cap so we can have it in here for reference?

Thanks, Kat