Permanent marker on canteen cover.

OD MAN

Is there ANY way to get permanent marker off of a wwii canteen cover? I just bought it from a garage sale, and I has a big $1.00 written on the bottom.

Thanks.

Is there ANY way to get permanent marker off of a wwii canteen cover? I just bought it from a garage sale, and I has a big $1.00 written on the bottom.

Thanks.

Goo Be Gone and a stiff wire brush can do miracles.

If you use a brush try a nylon bristle one.Less abrasive on the material.Goo be Gone,Goof off etc can lighten/take the color out of the canvas too.I had a early USMC cover marked to a Boy Scout Troop.The marks were in regular ink pen.I used a spray product by Simoniz called Tuff Stuff.It is an apolstry cleaner for automotive applications.It took the ink out but I really had to work at it and rinsed in cold water.I also noticed it took some of the color out too.Looked ok as the cover was really faded to begin with,

RON

I have had some luck using Oxyclean or a similar product, and scrubbing lightly.

I was able to get the marker off of a musette bag, but it "overcleaned" the bag a bit. I compensated by rubbing some dirt onto the spot, and it blended right back in again.

It looked a whole lot better than having the marker on it.

• 6 months later...

Sorry about revisiting an old post. Has anyone used isopropyl alcohol? I've taken out lots of permanent marker (sharpie) on modern fabric thanks to my "artistic" 2 year old, but have no clue how it would work on ww2 era fabrics. I seriously have to hide anything that has ink in it.

I just picked up a lot of stuff with a boyscouts name and city on it, was looking for a way to take off some of the marker. I'll probably not worry so much about the stuff written on the inside of flaps, just the obvious stuff on the outside.

If the alcohol is a definite no-no, I will try some of the other ideas mentioned above.

Thanks

Steve

• 7 months later...

I know this doesn't deal directly with permanent markers, but I did throw two WW2 canteen covers in the laundry because they were badly soiled. They came out clean-and shrunken! I thought it was only drying that shrunk cotton so I hung these up to dry. But they still shrunk. So I guess washing can shrink cotton too. Fortunately, I had two extras that was going to sell, but it looks like I'll be keeping those. The kids can use the shrunken ones for toys.

Jeff

• 1 month later...
Tom @ Snake River

I too have a canteen cover with magic marker that I did myself as a kid in the 1960's.

Don't distress over the shrunken covers, throw them back in the water and then while they are wet, insert a canteen or even a canteen cup to streach the fabic back to it's origional shape.

If you have a good eye for color, get some craft paints and mix to the closest you can find ( try a spot on something and let it dry as the color will change) with a stiff small paint brush, stipple the paint very sparingly over the marker areas and dry brush around to blend. It may take some practice, but permanent marker is usually just that. You can re-color the threads by carefully painting, then as the previous post mentioned, rub in some fine dry dirt and voilla, bob's your uncle.