Flying Heritage Collection

willysmb44

Just got around to cropping and saving some of the many photos I took at Paul Allen's airplane collection last week. I got a lot of photos of the US stuff there as that is my primary focus, but I decided to post mostly the photos of the more rare stuff you'd fine there...

ME-109, it flew the day before I got there:

109.jpg

ME-163 :Komet" rocket fighter, very rare (will never be flown as they were horribly unsafe to fly):

163.jpg

FW-190 "Dora," a very rare plane, don't think it flies:

Dora.jpg

Forward section of a RAF Lancaster bomber, 100% complete on the inside:

Lanc.jpg

My favorite, the P-47, painted to match the wartime mount of a vet who lives in this area and married a gal from Tallahassee!

TallyJug.jpg

Also, an original bunny rabbit I saw at the fence ;) : BunnyFence.jpg

I'd go there just to get inside that Lancaster...
Sorry, but you get to walk up to the back and see the radio operator position and not get a great view of the inside, as the walkway doesn't go along the side. It's an odd position for it and I wonder what they were thinking as it's the only incomplete airplane there.

They also have a B-17E (yes, i wrote that correctly), # 41-9210, being restored to these standards, the people working on it are sworn to secrecy but the ladies at the museum told me, "Don't hold your breath waiting to see it here," as it's been in the restoration hangar for over a decade now. I've heard they broke it to down so no two parts are touching and then building it back to factory fresh condition! w00t.gif Still, I could be retired by the time I see it complete...

This is the last time it was ever seen complete. Note the date on the photo:

b-17esidepicture.jpg

Sorry, but you get to walk up to the back and see the radio operator position and not get a great view of the inside, as the walkway doesn't go along the side. It's an odd position for it and I wonder what they were thinking as it's the only incomplete airplane there.

Dang... that's disappointing.

I've always wanted to see inside that plane, in person. Probably never will get the chance.

Still, it seems like a wonderful museum, as are ALL aviation museums to a zooooooooooooooomie. :D

I like the nice fresh open feel of the hangar-style building.,, and that Komet is highly unusual too.