1st Cav. "PANIC" patch. What is the story behind the patch?

2Dogs

Picked this up in trade. I don't think it's real, but I have been wrong before. Always wondered what the story was to the patch.

post-5782-0-69574700-1456336958.jpg

post-5782-0-32945800-1456336962.jpg

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2016.gif

RULES for C.N.A.s working the night shift at the local hospital.

1. Upper management has no sense of humor.

2. You can't fix stupid.

Picked this up in trade. I don't think it's real, but I have been wrong before. Always wondered what the story was to the patch.

Junk, pure junk in more ways than one.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

It refers to the SUPPOSED First Cav's bugout during the Korean War. If you know the Hank William's song Movin' On, there was a version that referred to the First Cav. Lyrics found here: http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiBUGOUT;ttMOVINGON.html

"Hear the patter of running feet

It's the old First Cav in full retreat

They're moving on;

they'll soon be gone

They're haulin' rump, not savin' gas

They'll soon be gone. "

Also a Korean War Marine vet once told me that the design of First Cav's patch actually meant

"The horse is for the horse they never had

The line is for the line they never held

The yellow speaks for itself"

This also goes along with the rumor of the First Cav losing their colors during the Korean War.

Here is what the US Army says about this:

The 1st Cavalry Division in Korea. The incident that apparently gave rise to this false rumor appears to be the Unsan Engagement which took place on 1 and 2 November 1950 at Unsan, Korea. In that battle, the 8th Cavalry, a component of the 1st Cavalry Division, was pushed back from positions in and around the town of Unsan by vastly superior Chinese forces. The regiment was severely battered, suffering heavy casualties and losing a considerable amount of equipment. This was one of the first major Chinese operations in the Korean War and, like the Changjin (Chosin) Reservoir Battle of this same period, it took the United Nations Command by surprise. Considering the circumstances, the 8th Cavalry fought very well, and it has never been criticized for its conduct in this operation.

And if your still interested, here is an article from Stars & Stripes: http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-rumor-doctor/the-rumor-doctor-1.104348/did-the-1st-cavalry-division-lose-its-colors-1.132899

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

Thanks BEAST for the info.

2. You can't fix stupid.

As others have implied but not clearly stated, the patch shown in the original post is a reproduction.

Original examples exist in both the regular yellow and the reversed colors such as the one posted by Proud Kraut. They all appear to be Japanese made from the Korean War era. These were obviously intended as a novelty patch, a joke to poke fun at the 1st Cavalry Division.

Follow me on Facebook @zemkecollectables

I had a good feeling it was a repro. Just liked the design and never knew the story. Thanks all for the info. First Team 1985-1986.

2. You can't fix stupid.

As others have implied but not clearly stated, the patch shown in the original post is a reproduction.

Original examples exist in both the regular yellow and the reversed colors such as the one posted by Proud Kraut. They all appear to be Japanese made from the Korean War era. These were obviously intended as a novelty patch, a joke to poke fun at the 1st Cavalry Division.

I have yet to meet a 1st Cavalry veteran who sees the "humor" in the "joke". That is the basis for my "more ways than one" comment in my original post.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

Also a Korean War Marine vet once told me that the design of First Cav's patch actually meant

"The horse is for the horse they never had

The line is for the line they never held

The yellow speaks for itself"

I've heard a variation to the effect:

The horse they never rode,

The shield they never carried,

The line they never crossed.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

The version I heard in my Cav days for Korea was.

The Horse they never rode on.

The line they never crossed.

Yellows the reason why.

1SG_1st_Cav

Troopers, this is pure HORSE shinola! None of the 1st Cav Regiments had their colors with them in Korea. Yes the 3rd Bn, 8th Cav was overran by major elements

of a Chinese Field Army. The 3rd Bn, 8th Cav was outnumbered about 2,000 to one. The biggest reason is because GEN Macarthur refused to believe the Chinese were in northern Korea. His Intelligence Chief gave him bad information, and the 1st Cavalry Division was caught in a rolling attack of thousands of Chinese!

In 1961, my Cleveland buddy Mick Adams and I were in uniform with our 1st Cavalry patches on our khakis flying back home after 13 months in Korea.

We landed at St Louis Airport and we had a 1 hour delay before our next plane took off. So we went to the airport coffee shop and ordered coffee and a piece of apple pie. Some loudmouth started giving us a ration of crap about the 1st Cavalry Division bugging out during the Korean War. Mick is a big shanty Irishman who didn't task crap from anyone, and his temper was worse then my hot Italian temper, and he knocked the guy on his rump. It was Mick and I against 4 or 5 guys, and all hell broke loose. The cops came and broke it up, and they shuffle us off to our plane and told us "don't ever come back to St Louis". So unless you have positive proof the 1st Cav bugged out, stick a sock in your mouth until you do. 1st Cav Trooper Dan Gillotti, 1st Cavalry Division Korea, July 1960-August 1961, and 1st Cavalry Division {AIRMOBILE} Vietnam, June 1967-June 1968. Here is the deal, don't say anything bad about my proud 1st Cavalry Division, and I won't say anything bad about your unit. If you ain't Cav you ain't S__T~

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Forum Member #1691 since September 2007

Served in the US Army from 1960-80

First Sergeant (Retired)

Vietnam 1967 with 7-15th FA ~ [8"/175mm Gun] First Field Forces

Vietnam 1968 with 1-30th FA ~ [155mm] 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE]

President & Historian 30th FA Regiment Association ( WWW.HardChargers.Com )

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the 30th Field Artillery Regiment in 2018

Troopers, this is pure HORSE shinola! None of the 1st Cav Regiments had their colors with them in Korea. Yes the 3rd Bn, 8th Cav was overran by major elements

of a Chinese Field Army. The 3rd Bn, 8th Cav was outnumbered about 2,000 to one. The biggest reason is because GEN Macarthur refused to believe the Chinese were in northern Korea. His Intelligence Chief gave him bad information, and the 1st Cavalry Division was caught in a rolling attack of thousands of Chinese!

In 1961, my Cleveland buddy Mick Adams and I were in uniform with our 1st Cavalry patches on our khakis flying back home after 13 months in Korea.

We landed at St Louis Airport and we had a 1 hour delay before our next plane took off. So we went to the airport coffee shop and ordered coffee and a piece of apple pie. Some loudmouth started giving us a ration of crap about the 1st Cavalry Division bugging out during the Korean War. Mick is a big shanty Irishman who didn't task crap from anyone, and his temper was worse then my hot Italian temper, and he knocked the guy on his rump. It was Mick and I against 4 or 5 guys, and all hell broke loose. The cops came and broke it up, and they shuffle us off to our plane and told us "don't ever come back to St Louis". So unless you have positive proof the 1st Cav bugged out, stick a sock in your mouth until you do. 1st Cav Trooper Dan Gillotti, 1st Cavalry Division Korea, July 1960-August 1961, and 1st Cavalry Division {AIRMOBILE} Vietnam, June 1967-June 1968. Here is the deal, don't say anything bad about my proud 1st Cavalry Division, and I won't say anything bad about your unit. If you ain't Cav you ain't S__T~

Well said!

One of my closest friends was with 1st Cav in Vietnam (medical officer).

Erwin

704th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Captainofthe7th

Amen!

No shame should fall on the shoulders of the 1st Cav. Like the Chosin, it was bad intelligence and blatant ignorance from high command...just stupid!

Rob

Exhausting & Dirty Work

Interested in buying identified or re-searchable Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals and more.

Regarding that patch, the remarks etc.: they aren't due to just this one disaster at Unsan; there were a series of routs, "chaotic withdrawals", "disorganized retreats" or whatever one may call it, involving the 1st Cav that had taken place at the hands of the NK's through the summer of 1950. This is all detailed in South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu, which is the official army history. It happened, and unfortunately I don't think the army ever learned from it.

donation2010.gif

Patchcollector

Allright.So a unit was overrun.Maybe some items were captured.It happens.War in general is fluid,and many times,chaotic.Korea was no exception,especially with the Chinese and their "human wave" tactics thrown into the mix.Having to retreat and leave some things behind in no way reflects upon the men themselves.When overwhelmed,it's better to pull back so that one can fight another day.

As for the patch,I've seen similarly "themed" ones for the 82nd and others.I'm not sure how,or where they originate.I'm guessing they are the product of some unit rivalries.Having served in the Military,I know that at times Troops can get pretty crude and raw with each other.I'm not condoning it,but it happens.

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there

I've chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle flew;

and while, with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

June 9, 1922 – December 11, 1941

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Don't let the B@stards wear you down -"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.Unreasonable

people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.All progress,

therefore, depends on unreasonable people.

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

Gentlemen

I do not know 1st Cav Trooper Dan Gillotti , but I do know he is a proud Cavalryman , proud of his heritage , proud of his unit and proud of the people he has has fought alongside-whether on foreign soil or St Louis!

Lets agree that he is the type of individual you want on your side and his hooves will always be ready to defend the honour of the Cavalry.

1st Cav Trooper Dan Gillotti, 1st Cavalry Division Korea, July 1960-August 1961, and 1st Cavalry Division {AIRMOBILE} Vietnam, June 1967-June 1968 is a proud Cavalrymen ,

Below is a Japanese made Ist Cav, Korean era and a Vietnam cut edge US made Ist Cav.

There you go 1st Sgt.

"The First Team"

Phill

post-7582-0-85648300-1456906561.jpg

post-7582-0-45156200-1456906595.jpg

Admin Note: The discussion about unit colors lost in Korea has been moved to a separate thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/262253-lost-us-colors-korea/

For the record, there is no evidence that has presented that any of the 1st CAV units lost their unit colors in the Korean War. The only one that has seems to have been proven has been the 31st Infantry Regiment, which was part of the 7th Infantry Division.

Please post any further comments on this topic on the new thread. Thanks.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif