What is a BCU Carrying Case for?

Constabulary

I have this pouch and don´t know what it is for.

Stamp says

BCU CARRYING CASE

CONT DAAHO1-82-F-0259

NSN 1440-01-069-0436

I guess it probably for a missile system? I can narrow it down to NSN 1440-01-069- which seems to a guided missile system. But I know almost nothing about ARI system so maybe someone can help me with this.

Maybe something like TOW?

post-5069-0-33316900-1456323413.jpg

post-5069-0-80444200-1456323415.jpg

Battery Coolant Unit (BCU) this was used for both the Redeye and Stinger MANPADS (Man Portable Air Defense System)

The BCU is used for targeting system, missile powering and for the cooling the Infrared (IR) detector before missile launch. It consists of battery and argon gas coolant.

The pouch being having Velcro closures is probably a later pouch issued for carrying the BCUs for the Stinger system.

El Bibliotecario

This caught my eye, because while I'm familiar with the BCU from my Redeye days, I never saw a case like this. I agree with Bill it is likely Stinger-era issue.

When a Redeye gunner spotted a target, a BCU was inserted into a well in front of the trigger, and if I recall correctly, twisted to activate. This supplied electrical power and gas to supercool the infrared tracker in the missile nose, making it sensitive to the target's heat signiture. (I always thought the gas was freon, but that may well be misinformation on my part, or memory malfunction.) If I remember correctly the BCU had a 30 second life. Since there might be circumstances when the gunner would not fire; e.g., the 'enemy' turns out to be a friendly, turns away before being acquired by the seeker, etc., each Redeye round was packed with three BCUs.

It's a pity they didn't issue this pouch during the Redeye era, as it appears to be just the right size to carry a C-ration.

• 1 month later...

The case is for the Battery Coolant Unit (BCU) for the FIM-92 "Stinger."

I have only found the single contract for this case, the one indicated in your post, to Phoenix Industries. Of course I have only seen a dozen or so of these cases, so there may have been other contracts that have yet to surface.

Some trivia information: the case was constructed to MIL-C-43534B mil specs (dated 9 April 1970). This mil spec is a revised version of MIL-C-43534A which was for the 20-round nylon LLCE magazine case. So the BCU case is simply a modified version of the nylon LLCE 20-round magazine case.

As noted in other posts, Craig and I had to cut a lot of "one-off" nylon items from the book...this was originally going to be in the book as well as how it was developed from the nylon LLCE 20-round magazine case.

Constabulary, thanks to Keystone I was able to find an earlier version of the BCU carrying case (contract dated FY1980). This version was made to the MIL-C-43534B specs, while the version you have was made to the MIL-C-43534C specs. This earlier version has the plastic latch fastener (instead of the hook and loop strap), rear suspender support strap (the same as on the 20-round ammunition case), and web grenade spoon loops - but NEVER had grenade support straps like the 20-round ammunition case. I took pictures of it alongside a 20-round ammunition case to show that it is a little taller.

The first version BCU carrying case (left) next to the LLCE 20-round ammunition case:

post-3045-0-67947300-1461353744.jpg

The first version BCU carrying case (left) next to the LLCE 20-round ammunition case. You can see that it NEVER had the grenade support straps sewn on (as there would be evidence of their removal):

post-3045-0-95423100-1461353751.jpg

Rear of the first version BCU carrying case:

post-3045-0-72520900-1461353757.jpg

This case bears the same NSN as the second version. The manufacturer's markings read:

CASE CARRYING BCU
CONT. DAAH01-80-F-0127
NSN 1440-01-069-0436
MFG. ABILITIES DEV. CNTR.

I could not get a good photo of the markings, sorry...

post-3045-0-33000600-1461353766.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
milsurp_scout_14

I had the good fortune to run across two of these pouches today. One is an '82 Phoenix contract with velcro closure, and the other is a 'pull the dot' snap with obscured markings. I wish these things were a bit more plentiful--they're great little pouches for carrying extra gear.

post-153911-0-96391200-1515995028_thumb.jpg