My ASMIC Show finds...

mpguy80/08

Greetings everyone!!!

I got up this morning and wondered if I should get out of bed... I wasnt feeling well, and thought for a moment that I might have to skip the ASMIC show... I drug my sorry tail out of bed, and after a shower I felt a little better so I thought, okay, why not... and headed to the ASMIC show. Besides I had a tank model to show off!

I arrive there, and right outside the hall is an MP Display. Okay, things are looking up already. I meet Gil, and we talk for a bit, and I head in. As I am perusing the rows and rows of patches, DUI's and uniforms, I come across a guy that has a few nice things on his table for sale, but what caught my eye was the OD#3 Shelter half under the table in a tupperware bin. I bend down and sure enough, its a WWII one ended shelter half. No poles, but hey, the shelter half itself is the hardest part, right? So I lift it out of the bin, and directly underneath it... OMG... w00t.gif The roof opened up, a beam of heavenly light streamed down, and angels sung in perfect acapella.... AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Underneath that shelter half was the one item I had been looking for all these years... A Mint, seemingly unissued M1944 Cargo pack with the quick disconnect straps still attached!!! I have been looking for this pack for over 20 years... with no luck... and this one was for sale!!! $20 bucks! *snatch* "How much is the shelter half sir? $20 bucks? cool... umm, I'll take this bag too, I like the straps..." Then I look over and w00t.gif again... A WWII MP Brassard!!! The two items I wanted most and one guy had them! I also picked up an old kevlar helmet and an M7 bayonet with M8A1 Scabbard, marked US, DOC on the ricasso. Toss in a few unit crests, and a dummy MkII Grenade, and I was a happy camper. I had found my Holy Grail and the miniature chalice all at the same time.

The one other item I was lucky to find today was a 147th Infantry Regimental crest. I looked through every vendor there with crests, and there was only one... The 1st Bn, 147th Infantry was my first unit in my military career.

Oh yeah... and I also found a vietnam war era "Reverse" Cav Patch... grins...

Overall, it was an excellent day, I got to meet a few forum members, and found items I have been searching fruitlessly for for soooo long.

Pictures below... enjoy!!!

Wayne

post-3743-1220135400.jpg

post-3743-1220135414.jpg

post-3743-1220135433.jpg

I've been trying not to do the touchdown dance all day... I had to wonder if the guy knew what he had was a M1944 cargo pack... it is marked Breslee MFG CO 1945. He seemed to turn a little green when I told him what it was after I'd paid him for it. It was marked $20, so he couldnt have marked it up anyway but it pays to do your homework...

*does the who's yer daddy dance*

Wayne

Great finds Wayne, thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif SCORE!!!

ASMIC/AAMUC/Chute and Dagger shows are always a good time ,I think.I made the one in KC a few years ago.Nice mixture of items,great guys,always helpful.I met Gil also and a father-son team who were into the Son Tay Raider stuff and had a great time.Always pays to look and dig deep.I too thought the prices were reasonable and wish I had some cash at that time as I saw a guy buy all the standard WW2 Airborne pockets patches for around $1500.He got the big 501 and most all others excepting the 551st if I remember correctly.I made some good contacts and friends.

I wish I could have made this years show.Maybe it will get a little closer some time.

Oh yeah, and the Shelter half is marked National something (unreadable ) Blind Co, 1942 and is in fairly mint condition, no rips or tears, all grommets and buttons present. I like it, poles or not...

Wayne

okay everyone, I'm going to drop this comparison of the M1944 and M1945 Cargo Packs to the Field gear thread...

Wayne

Go ahead, rub it in that you got to go the the ASMIC show and me, only two hours drive time away spent the day (and Tomorrow and Monday) working on the antique plumbing in my house!

Nice finds!

I wish I could have gone!

BKW

Your reversed 1st CAV patch might be even better than you realize.

From the photo it looks like a printed version that has had a sewn edge added to it.

There was a vendor named Ken Nolan who came up with "iron on" printed patches during the Vietnam War.

Once in a great while you might find one applied to a uniform, but eventually they faded. Or if not applied properly they would have an uneven appearance.

The other thing you see on eBay is ones that have never been applied, but these tend not to be very exciting. Basically they are a glorified iron on still in the package, and they can become brittle over time.

This is a nice example!

This is definitely printed with a white back and cut edge. Being a Cav Vet from the first gulf war, I couldnt pass it up... I'm not sure how much these things are worth, I actually bought it because the reversed cav patch has jumped out at me several times in the last week. I bought it for the novelty if anything else, but if its worth something... all the better!

Wayne

Oh yeah, Brian... I live in Cincy so it was kinda hard NOT to go. I'll be hitting the ASMIC Chutes and Daggers Tri convention at the Drawbridge inn in Ft Mitchell Ky in mid september too... If you can get up this way for that one, I'd be happy to meet ya.

Wayne