Info needed on A-15 oxygen mask ?

c7zx

Hello all, haven't posted since last year but came across an unusual mask I need some help with. Anyone have any info on an A-15 oxygen mask manufactured by Ohio Chemical & Mfg. Co. I'm familiar with the A-14 and A-13. Never seen this one before. Any info appreciated. Thanks, c7zx.

post-153088-0-60496200-1456272813.jpg

Sweeting covered the A-15 in his book. It is a refinement of the A-13A pressure demand mask only it was designed (I think) to replace both the A-13A pressure demand and A-14 diluter demand masks. The A-15 was never standardized but it seems there was a test lot of these made by Ohio Chemical. Most of these turn up still (new) in the box. Never recalled seeing one actually in use. I have two, both were in the box when I got them.

This is a bit speculative but.... it seems the USAF was trying to find a single mask it could use in most applications. There is some information about A-13As equipped with the diluter demand valve that had a yellow streamer to distinguish from standard A-13A. The A-15s come with the diluter demand valve but can be re-configured (Guess) for pressure demand. These are quite rare. Maybe someone has better info. I would love to hear more.